Desktop Questions for WIN7 PRO. unlock,add personal pics as wallpapers?

Reaction score
Hello,
First,
I have the 64 BIT Win7. I just upgraded from WINXP a few weeks ago. In XP, I used to be able to put my own .BMP or .JPEG photo as my desktop picture, but all I see when I try this in WIN7 are pre-made wallpapers and screensavers.

Is there anyway for me to use my own?

Secondly, whenever I leave my computer for a little while, or when I'm capturing video from a Camcorder into my Pinnacle Studio Video-editing program, the monitor goes black, then I see the desktop with a prompt for me to 'UNLOCK' my username.

How do I stop this from happening? Very annoying. I'm the only one who ever uses this computer,and don't need a password to log on. is this some type of hibernation,or energy saving feature?

Reaction score
1. The Windows wallpaper is located in the following folder C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper. Just copy the images you want to that folder. 2. Could be one of 2 issues: A you may need a update or upgraded version of Pinnacle Studio Video. B: It could be that your pc is going to sleep. Type Power Options in the Start menu's search box and hit enter. Click on change advanced power settings and click on the + next to Sleep and adjust the settings to your liking. Also in the first Power Options screen you opened from the Start menu search you may want to click on Show additional plans and select High Performance. The default setting in Windows 7 only uses 50 0/0 of the cpu's potential. High Performance is just that. It uses all the cpu's potential, which can help speed thing's up.

Reaction score
Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Desktop Background

You should have the option to browse and select the folder of your choice for background images.

As for the question about unlocking your username, I'm not understanding what exactly is happening.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To Disable logon screen on wakeup...

1. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options... change plan settings ... change advanced power settings ... Require a password on wakeup - set it to NO.

2. Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization ... Screensaver in bottom right ... uncheck On resume display logon screen.

As for your background ...
While you are in Personalization you will notice Desktop background on the bottom left. As Dave mentioned, there is really no need to move your photos because you can just browse to where they are. You can even select multiple pictures from your photos (see checkbox as you hover over them) and set it up to do a slideshow so that your background changes.

Reaction score
Any picture saved in "My Pictures" or where ever else you keep your photos can be used for wallpaper, provided the photo is of adequate size for the size of your screen.
Just right click on any of your saved photos........On the drop menu, just left click on "Set As Desktop Background".

Last edited:

Ask a Question