Question on Win 7 Pro and XP mode

Reaction score
With the demise of XP SP3, I have decided to purchase a Win 7 Pro desktop. Had two reasons for the decision: 1. not anxious to climb the learning curve and deal with the user issues with Win 8.1 and 2. hoped to run XP mode within 7 Pro.

Assuming I am able to successfully install the XP mode (which some have found to be problematic) I am wondering what security issues will arise when MS no longer provides security updates for XP. Will the XP virtualization mode be vulnerable to attack?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Frank

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have not really heard of problems installing nor running XP mode as long as your computer is powerful enough and has enough RAM.

XP within W7 will have the exact same issues as running XP natively would. It's not as if they will continue to support the OS in XP mode; it will lose support at the same time. You gain essentially nothing by changing to W7 if you will only be using the XP mode; in fact you loose a little speed by running in a virtual client.

FYI: It is not as if XP will suddenly cease to function it is just there will be no updates to it. Run a good anti-virus software, avoid mysterious links and attachments in emails, and stay away from risky websites and you will be as safe as you ever were.

Reaction score
Many thanks for the response, TrainableMan; after reading your comments and some of the earlier threads on the same topic, I am leaning toward foregoing XP Mode and just run 7 Pro. It would appear from comments made by other forum members that many if not most XP programs and apps will work on 7 by using one of the transfer utilities like Easy Transfer or the proprietary PCMover to move files, apps and programs from XP to 7 Pro but not XP the operating system.

What are your thoughts?

Frank

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've used Windows Easy Transfer several times and it works quite well for data. As for apps/programs, when going from XP straight to W7, they must all be reinstalled. Windows Easy Transfer is included in the Windows 7 OS and you can download the XP version free. After it finishes scanning your XP machine I recommend using the customize ... advanced option to make sure it has selected all your data.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, TrainableMan. Your input was enlightening.

Frank

Ask a Question