Win 7 Ultimate Freezes without BSOD

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum, but I tried to get help from reading 7 days worth of articles and other forums.

I have a Win 7 Ultimate x64 and at random (it never happens while I'm playing games, it always happens while I'm working on the desktop/folders/windows etc...).

Here are the simptoms.
1. Everything freezes except the mouse
2. Mouse icon is showing that it's working (goes into circles)
3. I can't click on anything (I mean, nothing is responding)
4. There is no Blue Screen of Death
5. All I can do is CTRL+ALT+Del
6. If I go Task Manager, It does appear, and It shows about 35% cpu usage , and then that usage goes down, But I can't scroll down to see all the processes. I mean, he appears to be working, but I can't click on him or interact in any way
7. If I go Log off, then log on again, everything is Ok. But you will agree with me , it's pretty frustrating to suddenly close all your programs and lose work...

To clear everything up, I bought a new computer, with a 2 month old video card, and the only thing that's a bit older are the hard drives, (6 months old).

Also, I check all of the forums, and this is what I did, I updated bios to the latest version, and the sata raid controllers (if someone has even newer ones let me know), and I swapped Ram, and I disabled the download accelerator Integration to google chrome :) (someone said that they got freezes from that).

I use Avira Antivir (which suggested to disable windows defender, so WD is off) , and also User account control is set to OFF ( Never Notify ). There are no suspicions files in Startup (Msconfig).

Here is my configuration:

Intel i3 530
P55-Usb 3 motherboard
2x2 gb Kingston 1333
GeForce GTX 260 - NVIDIA
Samsung SyncMaster P2350
3 hard disks : Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA (500 GB)
Maxtor STM3500630 ATA (500 GB)
Samsung HD103SI ATA (1 TB)

Thx In advance, If you need any more info , I will gladly give it.

Update: I reinstalled Win 7 Today, Exactly the same problem

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have another monitor to swap out with the Samsung SyncMaster P2350? Also try using the VGA port with your monitor.

Reaction score
Do you have another monitor to swap out with the Samsung SyncMaster P2350? Also try using the VGA port with your monitor.
Yep, And the result was the same, I disconnected Samsung, and plugged In a TV to the VGA port.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread for person in similar situation - unknown freezing...

I suggest you download the freeware utility Process Explorer which is listed in the recommended freeware for this forum (see link). Run this program and run your other applications in a window beside it so you can watch what is processing when your system freezes. Hopefully you can spot the exact program or SERVICE and report back.

Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread for person in similar situation - unknown freezing...

I suggest you download the freeware utility Process Explorer which is listed in the recommended freeware for this forum (see link). Run this program and run your other applications in a window beside it so you can watch what is processing when your system freezes. Hopefully you can spot the exact program or SERVICE and report back.
Just updating you guys: I did install Process Explorer, and since yesterday I kept it minimized, and I waited a whole day, but still no freezing. What I did yesterday was to follow a hint from one user that said that you need to go to the control panel , power options then, change plan settings then change advanced power settings, then processor power management and change minimum processor state from 5% to 75%.

24 hours have passed on no freezing, I am hoping that my problem is solved. And also I am hoping that you will leave this tread open a few more days if I happen to freeze again.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What I did yesterday was to follow a hint from one user that said that you need to go to the control panel , power options then, change plan settings then change advanced power settings, then processor power management and change minimum processor state from 5% to 75%.
Apparently you must have a notebook computer because desktop systems do not show the option described.

Don't worry about the thread being closed, it will stay here as long a the website continues to exist. I seen threads over a year old get bumped and updated.

Reaction score
Apparently you must have a notebook computer because desktop systems do not show the option described.

Don't worry about the thread being closed, it will stay here as long a the website continues to exist. I seen threads over a year old get bumped and updated.
Nope, it's not a notebook, it's a desktop , I think I was clear in every step that leads to these settings, except, try this, in control panel select View by: large icons, then follow the steps.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Nope, it's not a notebook, it's a desktop , I think I was clear in every step that leads to these settings, except, try this, in control panel select View by: large icons, then follow the steps.
I stand corrected! LOL! There is a few more steps to get to that point though.

I never had an issue in that section at all. I'm a 100% on both minimum and maximum settings, always was that way. I have ACPI enabled in the BIOS too.

Ask a Question