Why Do I Get Small & Foreign Fonts ???

Reaction score
I'm getting small & foreign fonts in places where I used to get normal fonts. This is a new computer with Windows 7 Pro pre-installed.

Screen shots are attached.

HELP !!!!!!!

Screen shot #1 - Foreign fonts throughout

Screen shot #2 - Foreign fonts in center box

Screen shot #3 - Tiny fonts (unknown type) in left portion of screen.

Note: ALL of these programs worked perfectly in previous computer under Windows XP.

I've tried changing my desktop, DPI, all the usual stuff. No luck. This isn't just a simple"tweak".

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would suspect it involves something you installed, for example a printer. How long ago did this start? the reason I ask is because you may be able use a restore point to get back to before this started happening.

Reaction score
The problem started immediately. The computer is brand spankin' new. As I said, these programs worked perfectly on the previous computer (XP).

Reaction score
I should add that the FIRST thing I tried was to go back to a restore point. Didn't work.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, so when you say "where I used to get normal fonts" you meant on a different computer with Windows XP. OK that wasn't clear to me.

Windows 7 can be installed in many languages so I guess my question would be did you buy this from the internet or a reputable dealer? It could also be infected with a virus.

Not knowing where it came from I guess my first reaction would be to suggest you copy down the product key and then download and reinstall W7 Pro SP1 in English. You can find out the product key with some free software called SIW, links to which can be found in our Freeware DB. As for W7 SP1 Pro, you can find links HERE. I would also warn you that pirated product keys can go for several months before Microsoft shuts them down so if there is any concern about your seller then do not be surprised if after some MS update you get a "not genuine" warning in the bottom right of the screen.

Now if this was a reputable dealer then I would suspect it is still under warranty and you would be best to contact them about the issue before any major undertaking such as a complete reinstall.

Also note any free or trial software that was on the computer would not be included in the true Microsoft ISO so you will need program disks or have to download any programs you want restored after a fresh install.

Another thought, have you hooked up a printer and if so what make/model?

Reaction score
Yes - reputable dealer in my area (MicroCenter) and a licensed installation of Windows 7 Pro.

I also downloaded & ran the complete MS scan and there were ZERO viruses.

My printer is a HP Color LaserJet 3550 which I'd been using for about 5 years on my previous computer (XP) without this problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I used to love MicroCenter when I lived near one; they always had the cables I needed at a reasonable price. OK so it doesn't sound like it's a foreign language version of W7 nor a virus, good.

Are you running 64-bit? And have you installed the PG Music font update for Band in a box? You might also check that you are running the latest version/updates, etc from there.

Do you have additional languages installed on your machine? I know this is available on W7 Ultimate but you seem to have it on your Pro. What happens if you click this ...
fixpianos-screenshot.jpg
Make sure your parent language is set to English.

My guess is that Band in a Box uses like a foreign language font to do it's music and somehow it got set as your default language instead of English.

If the problem persists I would suggest uninstalling Band in a Box and see if it is still an issue. You can always reinstall it.

The truth is even if you uninstall the application it may leave the new fonts/languages so the problem might remain making it tough to be sure it is in fact that application that introduced the issue but that is my suspicion.

Reaction score
Yes, 64-bit. I d/l & installed the Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) 64-bit font upgrade and it didn't change a thing (Yes, I rebooted after installing). Thank you for the suggestion.

Actually, I had the small/foreign type thing BEFORE I installed BIAB so that wasn't the problem. It's NOT BIAB.

I've never had a 64-bit OS before so my programs were only used before with 32-bit. I have installed MS Office 2010 which worked fine on my old XP computer but I can't believe that it wouldn't automatically be optimized for 64-bit use.

I'm seeing a s***-load of "foreign" fontsthat were pre-installed in my fonts folder. And Googling "small fonts in Windows 7" I see that MANY others are experiencing the same ridiculous amount of non-useful foreign fonts that are part of Windows 7 and are not delete-able. I think there's an inherint problem with Windows 7 that needs to be addressed. I mean, why am I loading all these useless fonts without my asking for them in the first place?

Rant over. This still doesn't explain the tiny fonts showing up regularly here and there. Or does it ???? (Cue: "Twilight Zone" theme here.)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have installed MS Office 2010 which worked fine on my old XP computer but I can't believe that it wouldn't automatically be optimized for 64-bit use.
The answer to the above question is the fact that MS 'recommends' installing the 32-bit version of Office 2010, even on a 64-bit Windows 7 install. Apparently there are more readily available product updates for the 32-bit version of Office versus the 64-bit. BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office 2010 are available from the install DVD.

From Microsoft's Product Library Page:
"The Microsoft Office 2010 system is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The 64-bit version enables you to work with much larger sets of data. This need is especially true when working with large numbers in Microsoft Excel 2010.

With the introduction of the new 64-bit version of Microsoft Office 2010, a new version of Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), known as Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications 7.0 (VBA 7), is being released to work with both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. It is important to note that the changes addressed in this article apply only to the 64-bit version of Microsoft Office 2010. Using the 32-bit version of Office 2010 enables you to use solutions built in previous versions of Microsoft Office without modification."

"In a default installation of Office 2010, the 32-bit version is installed, even on 64-bit systems. You must explicitly select the Office 2010 64-bit version installation option."

From The Microsoft TechNet site:
1. The 32 bit version installs by default because it is the recommended version. Various add-ons that work in the 32-bit version (including Windows Mobile Device Center and other 3rd party syncing utilities) do not work in the 64-bit version. Read the guidance first to make sure you are not going to find yourself with essential (and non-functional) add-ons.

2. You must uninstall the 32-bit version completely before installing the 64 bit package. You also need to make sure that any miscellaneous bits of Office 2007 are also gone since it will not install if they are present. The Access 2007 database engine is installed by some other apps and it needs to go as well in order to install the 64-bit version of Office.

3) If you really need to install it, and have completely removed all of the 32-bit version(s), go to the DVD and look for a folder call x64. The setup program is in that folder.

FWIW, I think the fact that they have not automated the 32 bit uninstall process is intentional. It forces people to go to a lot of work to get the 64-bit version (which is absolutely not the recommended version) installed.

TO REMOVE THE FOREIGN FONTS:(From Microsoft Answers Website.)How to remove the fonts that are being referred to, follow these steps:

Take ownership of the file:

- Click
Start Orb > type fonts in the search box > click Fonts
- Right-click the font > click Properties
- Click Security tab > click Advanced
- Click Owner > click Edit
- Select your Username > click OK

Click OK on the Windows Security box

Change Permissions of the file:

- Click
Permissions > click Change Permissions
- Select your Username > click Edit
- Checkmark Allow for Full control
- Click OK
- Click OK

Click Yes on the Windows Security box

- Click
OK

You will need to remember the names of your font(s) that you want to delete.

Delete the file:

Will need to start Safe mode with command prompt

Restart your computer and tap F-8 continually, this will bring you to your Advanced Boot Options, select Safe mode with command prompt.

Once you have booted:

In command prompt navigate to fonts:

- type
cd c:\windows\fonts > press enter
- type del "font name" > press enter *Do not use the quotes around the font name

This should bring you back to a clean prompt.

Once you are finished > Ctrl+Alt+Del > select restart from the arrow in the bottom right corner of your screen and start Windows normally.

Hope this helps

As the Windows Security box states; this could cause Windows to act differently. Make sure you know which fonts you are removing and that Windows does not need them before you remove any protected system fonts. This could cause many complications with your installation of Windows.

Chris.H

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have additional languages installed on your machine? I know this is available on W7 Ultimate but you seem to have it on your Pro. What happens if you click this ...
fixpianos-screenshot.jpg
Make sure your parent language is set to English.
OK maybe it's not Band in the Box, but you didn't answer this one question of mine and I'm curious what the carats do that I have circled. Seems to me I've only seen that before on a machine with multiple languages installed and it would make sense for popup boxes, etc to be in foreign fonts if your computers default language is not set for English in Control Panel > Region and Language.

And I think Nib's post explains how to get rid of unneeded fonts.

Reaction score
All I can say about Nibiru2012's post is: OMG!!!!!! I believe I'll try to live with the S***load of useless fonts rather than spend (probably) the rest of my life deleting them.

The little up and down arrows are merely to "show hidden icons" in the right-hand portion of the system tray - things like speaker volume, internet connectivity, etc. Sorry, the answer to my problem doesn't reside there either.

But you're coming up with some great suggestions. Perhaps if you stay up all night pondering this you will have found a solution for me by the time I roll out of bed tomorrow morning. Hah! Hah! :goodnight: (Hey - they provided the smiley faces, not I)

Reaction score
But seriously.....I really DO appreciate your taking the time to help me. Thanks!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The up carat by itself shows your hidden notification icons (red circle) but beside it is an up carat and down carat (red rectangle).
fixpianos-screenshot.jpg
(click on to enlarge)
That is where I have seen language selection before so I was just wondering what those carats in the red rectangle do on your machine, not the other one.

Reaction score
Ooooppss.....my mistake. Too much wine with dinner I guess. The up & down arrows display additional (overflow) program icons when there are too many "pinned" to the taskbar along the bottom of my screen. The single up arrow to the right of that does as I described in my last reply.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you tried Control Panel - Fonts - Font settings -
Then "Restore default font settings" and tick the box (language settings)

Also (I'm sure you've been here!)
Right click screen - personalise. - Display. - Set custom text size. Then try a few alternatives in that windows. Mine, by default, also has the XP box ticked. and says "9 point Segoe at 96 pixels per inch"

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sounds like Elmer's batch file he linked to might help by getting rid of fonts you don't like.

Also please check this is set to English:
Windows Help and Support said:
  1. Go to Control Panel\Region and Language
  2. Click the Administrative tab, and then, under Language for non-Unicode programs, click Change system locale. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Select the language, and then click OK.
    To restart your computer, click Restart now.

Ask a Question