Font too small

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to say first that I am happy I found this fourm. I just recently got a new computer. I have a basic idea about the new operating system.

My Problem: When viewing webpages in Firefox(which is what I choos to use) or IE the font is rather small. I am aware of the zoom feature and that helps the font get to a more reasonable size however every new page I visit I have to increase the zoom on. I have figure out that once I increase the zoom on a page it stays that way the next time and so forth. The real problem is trying to figure out a long term solution to not have to always increase the zoom. I am running 1920x1080 resolution which is the native resolution and i have a 24inch moniter so I have lots of room persay.

Steps done to try to help:
1.) Control Panel>make text and other items larger or smaller>large. (thats made it better for the OS it self but failed to do so on the IE or Firefox)
2.) Firefox>Tools>Options>Content>Fonts&Colors>advanced>Minimum Font Size(It changes the font size indeed. Ive tried all different font sizes but the problem with this is that it changed the layout of the website slightly and i dont want my viewing experience to be changed.

Now I realize a potiential thing I might have to do is adjust to the zoom to every new page i visit but i perfer not to. It wouldnt kill me but it would just be nice to be able to get on and just go without having to worry about zooming in. Its kinda a pain.

Thanks for the preceeding help you have give. Hopefully Im not the only one and its a simple fix. I am 20 years old and it difficult for me to see let alone my parents who have a harder time viewing it. This is be the main computer so I want it to be in simple working condition.

Reaction score
Hi kush452 - Welcome to w7forums

Good news is you joined a friendly forum. :)

Bad news is it looks as if you tried everything I can think of. :(

There is a shortcut key sequence for the zoom control. Pressing Ctrl and "Scrolling the Mouse" will change the zoom levels in many application including changing icon size of Desktop Icons.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To temporarily make things bigger/smaller in IE or Firefox use Ctrl +/- (fast way to do the zoom you mentioned)

In Internet Explorer you can turn on the toolbar and go to View ... Text Size and simply pick a size bigger.

In Firefox go to Tools ... Options. In the new window select the Content Tab. Halfway down is Fonts & Colors. Simply increase the size.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There are a couple of things you should try.
In IE,
Go to Tools - Internet Options - General tab - accessibility button - 'Ignore font sizes specified on web pages'
That may work for IE. I am not too familiar with Firefox, but yoy appear to have tried an option available?
But, if the same problem is in both browsers, the source must be in the OS, not in each browser. Then my thought turns to:
Right click the desktop.¨
Click "Personalize"
Click "Display"
Select "medium"

You will have to reboot to see the effect. Frankly, I think you will then find the fonts too big!

Third choice is to bring down your resolution one notch?

Ask a Question