Who gives the most reliable software reviews?

Reaction score
Is there a site that has been found to be the most reliable for unbiased software reviews?
I still look at "Top Ten Reviews" but my practical experiences with some of the things they rate high have not been so good and some stuff I'm aware of they don't even mention so not sure how impartial they are.
So any other suggestions for quality review sites.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
CNET is a decent site, but as to whether they're biased or not, I don't know. I've found some good software on their site.

But one thing that I just don't understand, and that's the fact that AVG has been the #1 downloaded Windows software on their site for quite some time. For all of the negative coverage that AVG gets, and they're not even in the top 15 of AV Comparatives list (AVG withheld itself, according to the report), being the #1 Windows download sounds puzzling, to say the least.

I highly doubt that the majority of them are Windows 7 users, as it's been well documented on this forum, and other Windows 7 forums, as to the adverse effects of running it on 7.

CNET is the only site that I use regularly that rates it's software, I'm sure there's others. As to the biased issue, many advertising dollars are spent on these kind of sites, so that has the potential to play into things.

Cat

Reaction score
Yeah, I try to search a few sites. Generally speaking if a program is listed at or near the top in a couple of them I'll take it as being okay.. It's when you get into the top five that there are often huge differences and/or omissions between review sites.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When you get into those top five, that's when you really have to dig into the search engine and look up on them. Plus, many popular apps are discussed on the forums, where you can find out issues related to the software in question. Usually links will be provided to them through your search engine.

But sometimes, you just have to go with your heart, because there can be a 60/40 split in favor of the app, or even 50/50. You really have to read through the reviews themselves, see how educated they appear, some you can dismiss just because of the wording of the review. A good reviewer will take some time, and the findings may be long, and that's what you want to see. Someone who takes the time, and has sense enough to even do a proper review.

I've been asked to do several reviews, and a couple was kicked back at me, because there weren't enough words in it, or I wasn't being specific enough. Epinions is a good example of that, and btw, they're a good consumer review site.

Epinions can be found at:

http://www99.epinions.com/

This site rates almost anything that you can buy, including software.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Those "Top Ten Reviews" sites are usually sponsored by the software makers, so therefore they are extremely biased in their reviews.

CNET is good cat suggested. Basically it is best to check user reviews and feedback on various forums.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
CNET is generally good but they still recommend Norton Anti-virus solutions so I question whether they don't have some bias.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
And don't forget AVG, it's been (as they claim) the #1 Windows download for quite some time. I'm a regular there, and have a membership. In spite of all of the issues reported not only here, but on many Windows forums, even XP ones, how can it possibly be their #1 download for Windows?

I've noticed Norton being pushed there, too. But CNET is still a good place to find software for Windows. The consumer must still exercise good judgement as to what to install on their systems, regardless of the ratings.

Advertising dollars can buy biased opinions, or at least weed the bad ones out.

Cat

Reaction score
Reliable Review sites

Greetings all ~

To be honest there is no ONE SINGLE site that i have found that is 100% reliable as far as reviews.

It has been mentioned by Cat " And don't forget AVG, it's been (as they claim) the #1 Windows download for quite some time" (emphasis mine)

Key word there is DOWNLOAD, that doesnt necessaraily mean that its acctually INSTALLED on systems ..

Much like Firefox or Chrome .. they are doing DOWNLOAD not meaning INSTALLED on systems .

Those are things you have to take into consideration when you look at the reviews. Downloaded .. ok fine those number MIGHT be accurate.. I have had Chrome and Firefox downloaded and installed on multiple systems .. do i use them frequently .. NO i do not ..only use them if im chekcin put wepages to see if they render correcly .

Bottom line is .. you have to watch the wording of ANY review sites. If they are going by DOWNLOADS... then yes those numbers COULD be correct... but acctualkly installed and being used .. well thats a sdiffrent story..

Just my thoughts.
~LoneWolf

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Frankly, when I am looking for software I tend to look at alternativeto.net first, and then google for specific product reviews. CNET is okay, PCMag's not bad. Softpedia etc are useless.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks Core, alternativeto.net looks like a really good site. As implied in it's name, it does just that, offering alternatives for various software.

Cat

Reaction score
Greetings all ~

It has been mentioned by Cat " And don't forget AVG, it's been (as they claim) the #1 Windows download for quite some time" (emphasis mine)

Key word there is DOWNLOAD, that doesnt necessaraily mean that its acctually INSTALLED on systems ..
~LoneWolf
I never go by download numbers. i like to see proper reviews, screenshots etc.

Interesting though and I covered this more in my other post "Only Rule, No Rule" people bag AVG but if someone asked me I'd have to say that it is had always worked fine for me on my XP machine and likewise for others I know personally that have used it.

Ask a Question