Which f@h version is best for AMD cpu & video ?

Reaction score
SOLVED. Link at top right of page wouldn't let me mark it as solved for some reason. I uninstalled the v7 beta and tried the current version and that version is slow as molasses. I uninstalled that version also. When (e-mail address removed) comes out with a better sys tray version let me know.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
brkkab, have you considered running a GPU client only? These clients gives you the fastest points/WU's, and your computer doesn't heat up as much. My GPU temps are in the same range as c_c's in that post on the prior page (avg 62 to 64C @99% load).

Check out my points.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=543049

Like I said, my notebook is on cruise, the heat is low, it's barely warm to the touch. My points/WU's fluctuates a little, but I use it for other purposes too.

Try it out and see what you get.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Cat. How about a link for the gpu only clients ?
Try out the System Tray client, it's the simplest to install. Just like the client on the first (main) page.

Go the the "list of high performance clients", it's the third one down.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

It'll be the V6 GPU2 client (ATI 2xxx - 5xxx; nVidia clients), the third one on the list. It's for both ATI & NVIDIA cards. You should gain decent points with this client, of course the higher performance video card you have, the better.

Hope that it works for you. Let us know.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Cat. That version say's my 11.5 driver's for my video card aren't up to date. THEY'RE UP TO DATE 11 for 2011, 5 for May. Last time I checked today is May 15, 2011. I tried every version on that page compatible with AMD. I tried 6.23 - no go- uninstalled it and tried 6.34. Same results. I used RevoUninstaller Pro to remove each.

Reaction score
One of our folders with my home team had problems folding with a 5770. He could get it to work, but it dragged down the performance of his SMP slot.

It should be a whole different game when you upgrade to the 6xxx series (2 months away, right?). For anything 5870 and higher, it seems that running multiple slots on 1 card gets the highest production. Here's a link to a guide created by one of my teammates:
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=113741

Reaction score
Full Taoer. Yeah, HD6950 2.0GB. in July, provided no wrenches get thrown in my plan's.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That GPU really ought to smoke. I'm going with a high performance GPU myself when I build a computer. There are GDDR5's that looks good, some of which are 2GB. I don't know exactly which one that I'll get, but that and the CPU are 2 components that I'll choose very carefully.

If I could afford it, this would be a nice one for my notebook, but it cost more than the entire notebook did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2GB-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-480M-Video-card-/110550484905

Now that card would really rock! I have the 425M, this one is more powerful. It probably would double my daily points. Oh well, mabye I can swing it after it's been on the market a couple of years at a low price.

Cat

Reaction score
If I could afford it, this would be a nice one for my notebook, but it cost more than the entire notebook did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2GB-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-480M-Video-card-/110550484905

Now that card would really rock! I have the 425M, this one is more powerful. It probably would double my daily points. Oh well, mabye I can swing it after it's been on the market a couple of years at a low price.

Cat
Word of warning, graphics in notebooks are not replaceable as they are in desktops. Even though you bought a laptop with discrete graphics, the card could still be a proprietary card only used by MSI.

Before you decide to upgrade, please discuss it with your friends here first. We would hate for you to blow your money on something you can not use.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I doubt that I get it. Most likely, it was meant for those very expensive gaming notebooks, judging by the price. Plus, I don't want to mess what I do have up, as I plan for it to last for a while.

My money would be better saved up towards the new Intel based PC that I was speaking of building last week. That's a project that I'm serious about, and as soon as I get ready, I'll start getting some advice here as to what to do.

Cat

Reaction score
Cat. Not to change the subject, but seeing as you brought it up. When you go to get a 2.0 gb. video card for a desktop make sure you stay away from the various MSI Frozr video cards. From all the Newegg customer reviews I've read, they all appear to have problems with pieces of the fan's breaking off as it spins.

Ask a Question