Which f@h version is best for AMD cpu & video ?

Reaction score
Which (e-mail address removed) version is best for a AM3 board using a Phenom 2 965 BE C3 cpu and a HD5770 video card ? Video card is going to be upgraded to HD6950 2.0 GB. in 2 months.

Reaction score
If you are going to be folding on AMD Radeon HD 5000 or 6000 series graphics, you will want to use the new V7 folding clients.
Features
The new client has too many features to list but here are some of the highlights:
  • Support for FahCore_16 on HD 5000 or higher GPUs.
  • Improved Windows installer with support for Windows XP, Vista, 2008 and Windows 7.
  • 64-bit OS-X install package. (32-bit is in the works).
  • Debian/Ubuntu and RedHat/Fedora/CentOS 32-bit and 64-bit Linux packages.
  • Low priority background operation has very little impact on your computers usability. You should hardly notice Folding@home is running when using other applications.
  • A more compatible and stable 3D protein viewer with several view modes, rotation, zoom, online help and interpolated protein animations.
  • Separate but integrated console client (FAHClient), user interface (FAHControl) and 3D protein viewer (FAHViewer).
  • Novice, Advanced & Expert user interface modes. (See drop down list in FAHControl.)
  • Support for more than one Folding Slot (UNI, SMP or GPU).
  • Ability to monitor, configure and control many remote folding clients from a single computer.
  • Very low CPU overhead for FAHClient, FAHControl and FAHViewer. 3D viewer overhead can be minimized by disabling rotating and protein animation.
  • Single client for normal (Uniprocessor), SMP (Multiple CPUs) and GPU (Graphics Processors) folding.
I've not installed the V7 client yet, so I've not actually seen how it works yet. However if you experience troubles with it, I will not hesitate in installing to help you out.

Read more about V7 client - FAHClient V7.1.24 released (2nd Open-Beta)

The download location - Folding@Home v7 Client Beta Release Page

If it wasn't for the AMD graphics that you want to fold with, I would have recomended the Tracker V2 application.

Reaction score
Clifford. How should I configure it for my cpu ? Will this version automatically start with Windows or do I need to put it in the Startup folder. This version looks alot different from the one I used about 3 months ago on my old motherboard.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't know about the CPU, but that video card you're planning to buy (2GB) ought to rock. That's a lot of GPU.

Something with similar specs (the GPU) is what I want when I build a PC. More than likely, I'll build something with a top end i5 (see link) that's built for solid performance on a budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

It's unlocked & ready to go.:D

As to the GPU, I don't really know yet. I like Nvidia, they're damn good, but their driver updates can be funky. I'm still running the stock (not updated) driver on my notebook's GT 425M GPU, with no problems. It won't fold a lick with the new driver.

brkkab, you're soon going to crunch some big time numbers. I'm rooting for you.

Cat

Reaction score
I'll build something with a top end i5 (see link) that's built for solid performance on a budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

It's unlocked & ready to go.:D
Cat if you are serious about building an Intel based folding@home machine, the i7-2600K is the cpu to look at. Going from i5 to i7 will double the CPU threads which is what you need for the BigAdv WU's. BigAdv WU's require at least 8 threads to complete on-time. These BigAdv WU's can produce around 50K PPD on the i7-2600K. Where SMP with the i7-2600K would only produce about 30K PPD.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks. That one's unlocked to OC too, I see.:DA killer!

I'm doing some looking and compiling a wish list, so that I have some kind of idea of how much cash I need. And yes, I'm going with Intel, at least as far as the CPU goes. 50K PPD is rocking!

Those recent model Intel CPU's are really getting excellent ratings. I was considering the top end i5, over a mid level i7, because I figured I'd get more. At least that's the way it is with the notebook CPU's. Plus the obvious heat factor. I don't think that the heat will be an issue with a desktop, provided I give it adequate ventilation & cooling.

Hopefully it won't be too far away, the short term problem is, these gas prices are cutting into our budgets deeply.

Cat

I should be able to have a good build for around $1,000, mabye less.

Reaction score
Clifford. I downloaded the beta you gave me the link to and followed the guide. Here's a screenshot of my cpu reading's now. They went from 2% pre f@h to 100%. Doesn't seem right to me for a quad-core cpu.

Attachments

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Kieth, that is normal. If you do nothing else with the computer, all that processing power goes to folding. If you do anything else the client yields processing power back to you automatically. In an earlier thread I mentioned to cat that you can manually throttle back your processor in W7 through the power options if you want to, but you've gone to the trouble of OC'ing so why bother.

The temps are what you need to watch now. My intel quad core runs in the 50'sC with the stock cooler and I'm okay with that. Just keep an eye on them.

I'm very interested in what that quad puts out ppd/points wise. Do you use the HFM.NET program to monitor your clients?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Where SMP with the i7-2600K would only produce about 30K PPD.
I think cat would be happy with that, I know I would, until I find out 50k is right there at your fingertips.

You also need a P67 chipset board for that and I see they are coming down in price a little now.:)

Are there any early indications what the Ivy-Bridge units might do?

Reaction score
Yes, I'm running HFM. I followed both guides. The HFM Guide is contained in a link in the V7 guide Clifford pointed me to.Yodap cpu is eventually going to be either a Phenom 2 1100T or a AM3+ Bobcat, as my mobo is already compatible for AM3+ socket according to MSI.

Reaction score
Clifford. On my AM2+ mobo, it never stayed maxed at 100% for same cpu. That's the part that seems weird to me. That was with the old AMD client for f@h. That version was lost during backup process before upgrading to this motherboard. As Microsoft also removies Firefox from the download folder also.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi Keith.

I was speaking of HFM.NET program for monitoring folding clients and stats. Not the excellent HWINFO program that I also use.

The link: http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/

Screenshot of mine.

Attachments

Reaction score
Yodap. I've got HFM.NET installed also. FHM.NET beta isn't really sowing me anything. Here are (e-mail address removed) v7 beta and FHM.NET beta screenshots

Reaction score
FHM.NET isn't really showing me anything. I've got it and f@h v7 beta setup according to both guides. Here's a screenshot of each.

Attachments

Reaction score
Give me a little while to finish my WU's that the Tracker V2 has going, and I will install the V7 Client.

I've been wanting an excuse to push me into installing the new client anyway. :)

Edit:
V7 client is installed and ready to go. I'm waiting for Tracker V2 to finish WU's before I start V7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clifford. I uninstalled both. They restarted my pc. Apparently that one wasn't a BSOD, as I've got my pc setup to not restart after BSOD's or Windows Updates. I then did get a BSOD and considering those were the only new software and my drivers are all updated. I assumed it was the beta's of both that caused both issues. I followed both guides from the link you provided for both and had it set to SMP. It's apparent that version doesn't like AMD. P.S. I don't remember which version I used 2+ month's back, but it was cpu based and was downloading 10,000 per download. With that version my Phenom 2 965 never got near 100 % while folding and other thing's at the same time. I think the highest my cpu went was maybe 20-25% while folding and malware scanning.

Ask a Question