What is the cause of "ntfs 55" errors?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been having a lot of problems with this notebook lately, most (especially the memory) has been fixed. But when running a program, I still get crashes, and the Acronis Drive Monitor shows as "critical errors" several entries (time and date stamps) of Event ID 55. The risk is classified as "high", the severity is classified as "error", the source is classified as "ntfs". I've ran MEM 86 tests and all were clean.

It's drive problems here, last night while testing, temps reached 61, a very critical event, but still kept running. There's an "ntfs" problem somewhere, but I can't find the cause of it. I don't have another drive to replace it with to find out anything. But one program after the other is reporting problems, and it's not the RAM this time.

Cat

Reaction score
NTFS is the default file system used by Windows Vista and Windows 7.

You're having hard drive failure, which is probably to the point of the hard drive needing replacement.

You can run this command from an elevated command prompt to attempt to repair the errors. This may do some good but replacing the drive is probably the goal here.

Code:
chkdsk /r

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This drive certainly has some mileage on it, I'm not surprised a bit that it's failing. But I don't think it's my only problem, when I turn on the computer, the screen flashes on and off (black screen) several times before settling down. Perhaps the MOBO, this particular model (Latitude D610) has a known history of these problems, I had one of the same model, it acted similar. Ran hot most of the time, and got to where it would not hold an OS, it kept dropping one file after the other.

I was surprised that I was refunded my money over it, as that size hard drive (60GB) only cost $40 (new) on eBay. There had to be other problems.

Damn, I was just nuking it again, and DBAN froze on me. That has never happened to me before. I'm just going to throw in the original reinstall disc, and not put any other OS's on it anymore (XP Pro was the original OS). I've done a quick format instead of a full, I don't even know if it will fully install or not, the DVD is speeding up & slowing down badly. It's almost slowing to a halt, this (final) install is. I can only pray that it will go through, if it does, I'll break in the install by downloading the folding client, and let it run a while. That will smooth things out.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It installed, but as soon as I finished, it done a chkdsk, I've never had that to happen as soon as an OS was installed. There were all kinds of errors just from doing a simple reinstall.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, it's not like it's the end of the world. It's under warranty, they will make things right. But I'm going to run it until it's ready for the landfill, because that's what I want them to do with it, and refund my money in the process.

Ask a Question