Blue screen of death on shutdown, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE caused by ntoskrnl.exe?

Reaction score
Hello.

Often times when I am shutting down my computer (Windows 7) the Shutdown screen will hang for roughly 10 minutes and then BSOD. On the BSOD I noticed it says the issue was caused by a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. After researching it myself I found that it's typically caused by a faulty driver that just needed to be uninstalled. I went ahead and updated my AMD drivers and uninstalled one that could have been the culprit. After that I didn't have any issues for a day or two but now that doesn't seem to be the case. My computer has gone back to hanging on shutdown and BSODing.

I've retrieved the dump file from the BSOD and uploaded it here if anyone can take a look at it and help me find exactly what is going wrong. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is, but looking though BlueScreenView says it's caused by 'ntoskrnl.exe'. After looking at a Crash Dump Analysis by OSR, I figured out that the issue references 'X64_0x9F_4_nt!PnpBugcheckPowerTimeout+76' but I have no clue what that means.

I looked over other threads with people having the same/similar problem and I want to attach as many items as possible so I can figure out this problem quickly. My System Information file, Driver View, and Crash Dump Analysis by OSR are all included in the zip attached alongside the dump file.

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ntoskrnl is the W7 kernal, essentially it IS Win 7 so that isn't much help.

Sleep & Hibernation are common problems. It is quite possible your motherboard doesn't support sleep very well. There may be a BIOS update that could help ... see the manufacturers website to make sure you have the latest.

Next thing to try if that doesn't fix it is to play with the power settings. For example try setting it so the hard drive can never be put to sleep ... that might be all it needs (Control Panel > Power options).

Ask a Question