Weird popup on login.

Reaction score
Hello there,

Recently, I installed Opera browser, and simultaneously uninstalled Microsoft Edge. Since then I am receiving weird popup on login. It says me to open a file (or folder?). The file is most probably my user folder because when I try to open it, it says C:\Users\(username) can't be opened. I have searched in the task scheduler to find something but I am not successful so far. I also don't know what exactly is causing the problem. Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Thank You!

My OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Apparently a program was uninstalled that was handling some file in your start-up. The extension on that file is no longer associated with a program to run it. For example files with a .TXT extension are commonly set to open with notepad.

If you install the free version of CCleaner it may be able to help you figure out which file is in your startup without a program to handle it. They offer a Pro version but just say no thanks.

IMPORTANT: When you install CCleaner there is a second page where it offers to also install their CCleaner browser and set it as your default. Remove the check mark and hit DECLINE.

Once the free version of CCleaner is on your machine, run it. It will offer to run a health check but for now just go to Tools -> Start-up (along the left side). Then there are four sections across the top: Windows, Scheduled Tasks, Context Menu, and Windows Services.
CCleaner-Startup.png
One of the files in one of these 4 lists is your problem. Save each list to a text file. Then respond here and attach them so we could take a look.

Ask a Question