SOLVED W7 Install Gone Really Bad

Reaction score
Did a W7 clean install with a full retail version on my HP desktop.
I booted from the CD, disconnected the Ethernet, got started and checked the "Drive Options Advanced". I deleted ALL old partitions so I could replace them the way I wanted. Finished the install and thought I was good to go till I discovered I couldn't connect to the Internet!!

I have TimeWarner cable, my mobiles are WIFI and my desktop is wired. I called TW and they eventually decided I don't have a nic driver! We reset everything etc etc and no go.
The computer doesn't even know there's a connection. I reinstalled W7 again, it didn't help, same problem.
How can my W7 software not have a nic driver???
And if I can't get on line how the heck am I going to GET a nic driver???

Also, for all I know the nic may not be the only driver missing!??
HELP!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your network connection is one of the primary reasons it is good to backup your drivers or download your drivers to DVD prior to an install. There are so many different Network devices and new ones released all the time that it is impossible for the W7 DVD to have them all. Lesson learned. Anyway, what to do now.

First we need to know the make and model of computer (I tried looking up HP 1360 and all I find is a Deskjet D1360 printer so I need something more). And if this is a USB network adapter or there is a separate network card (as opposed to being part of the motherboard) then the make/model of the card or USB device. This information is needed to go to the manufacturers site and download the appropriate driver.

Basically your wireless devices should still have connection ... obviously you were able to get here and post, so you need to use a working device to go to the manufacturers website and download the driver to a USB flash drive and then put it into the non-working computer and install it.

Also you mentioned concern about other missing drivers; open control panel > device manager and choose View > Show hidden devices, then look for the yellow warning icons. That should be your missing drivers. NOTE that sometimes when you install a missing driver it may be something such as a bridge or hub and once that is installed then you may find more undefined devices attached to it.

Reaction score
TM I've added the info you asked for to my specs.
It's an HPE series H8 1360T desktop.

OK Device Manager shows there are 6 drivers missing:
Ethernet Controller
Network Controller
BCM20702AO
PCI Simple Communications Controller
SM Bus Controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

If you can just help me get the ones that'll get me back on line, W7 can probably detect and update for the rest of the drivers, ?
Thanks for any and all help TM!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, on the HP site when I put in your computer and specify W7 64-bit there is a list of your drivers:

Since you say this desktop is hard-wired that should be your Ethernet so try:
Original Atheros Network Controller Driver ►
2012-06-20 , Version:2.0.8.8 Rev. A, 1.48M

But it is possible you may need some of those controllers working so if that driver doesn't fix it then also try this:
Original Intel Chipset Driver ►
2012-05-23 , Version:9.3.0.1011 Rev. A, 3.57M

Last edited:
Reaction score
Which one on my list are we trying to fill, the "Ethernet Controller" or the
"Network Controller" ?

I'm guessing the Ethernet Controller, but that "Atheros" one is called a network controller so it's getting confusing. LOL

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well it is possible to "network" both "wired" or "wireless" so both types are "networking" but when I see "ethernet" that is a hard-wired ethernet cable connection and if you look at the description listed for Atheros Network Controller it says:
HP said:
This package provides the original driver for the Atheros PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller solutions in supported models that are running a supported operating system.
so we are trying to get your hard-wired network connection working through your ethernet cable that runs to your modem (or router).

Reaction score
TM, I think both of those drivers you listed were part of the final collection, but I was in over my head so I ended up taking it to a tech. Good thing I did, it was a mess. There were more drivers involved than I thought, and he had to do some serious searching to find the right ones and get em installed. There's still a couple missing that we thought windows update would provide, but it didn't.
It still needs a little work, but I'm back on line anyway. It's a good thing, without my computer I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms! LOL

You said something in an earlier post about "lesson learned" about not having the drivers backed up. Well you were very right, if I can get the bugs out of this system, I'm going to have to make a system image to avoid future catastrophies. I tried that once, but HP's software wouldn't allow it, but HP's software is history now, no more excuses. LOL

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Installing most drivers these days is very similar to installing any program because they come with an installation program (exe). The challenge is often simply figuring out which driver matches up to that "unknown device" in device manager. It takes some persistence but with experience it gets easier to spot which drivers from the manufacturers site are likely to fill the unknowns. I do believe you could have done it but having a techy friend helping can be comforting and hopefully is a bit faster.

I marked this complete because you now are online which I believe was your original reason for posting but if you can't locate the remaining missing drivers then please list the info from device manager and maybe we can suggest the most likely ones you should try. :)

Ask a Question