W7 Home Ultimate 32 bit. Updates go on and on

Reaction score
I have automatic updates turned ON.

When I tried to turn off the system for the day, I saw the message "on not power off or shut down the computer; installing 1 of 21 updates". So I went to bed leaving the computer on, and to my horror, this morning IT WAS STILL INSTALLING 18 of 21 UPDATES!

What I am supposed to do now? I am scared to turn off the system.

On a few earlier occasions, after an update, the system required booting from the original CD. At other times, my wife simply shut down the system and started again, then it worked without the boot CD.

Please help me resolve the present problem first. Then please tell me if I can turn off automatic updates, and if so, what I should do to get updates that are mandatory. I am really sick of this unnecessary round about way of doing this.

Thanks for your help. I am NOT a computer professional.
Is

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The latest 4 or 5 updates have been causing issues for A LOT of users, myself included.

IF those last updates still are causing you issues then only choose ONE update at a time and continue on with the rest. You'll have to restart your computer on I believe two of the updates.

Try that and see how it works out for you.

Reaction score
But my immediate problem right now is, what to do with the system? Just cold boot, that is, turn power off? There are 21 updates, last I looked this morning, it was stuck on 18 of 21. And where is the option to choose one or the other update? And which one of the updates can I choose? Is there some sort of logic?

Thanks for your help, Quick Scotty. I really appreciate your help. I will know what to do only after I go home in the evening.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
The latest 4 or 5 updates have been causing issues for A LOT of users, myself included.

IF those last updates still are causing you issues then only choose ONE update at a time and continue on with the rest. You'll have to restart your computer on I believe two of the updates.

Try that and see how it works out for you.
Nice duplicate posts, Nibs :D

Copy & paste to the rescue ;)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it is still stuck on 18 then you will probably have to turn it off. Then you can go to Windows Updates and unselect all but 1 and do them 1 at a time.

Reaction score
When I returned home, I found the PC shut down. Updates were finished but when I turned the PC on again, it started to configure the updates (there were only 2). But after 14% of the first configuration was done, the PC shut itself down, but never restarted. I rebooted the system with the W7 CD-ROM, which also did not help boot. It gave me the option to either re-install w7 or repair. Several attempts to repair did not help. I took the option of system restore.

After it said the restore was finished, at the end the message said system restore was incomplete due to some error (I can't remember what exactly the error number was). It also said no files were changed because the restore was not successful. But I restarted the system again, when I saw the message that the system was restored successfully!!

As soon as I send off this message, I am going to back up my hard disc.

Is it a good idea to turn off automatic updates? Then how do I know when there is an update that is really required?

Thanks
iS

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I personally just set mine to notify but not download or install; so I get a notification icon when updates are available. For the less "windows-savvy" though I suggest they leave it on auto-update. You will need to decide for yourself whether you want to handle updates manually or not.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
DON'T USE YOUR INSTALL DVD DISC!!!

All you're doing is messing up your system by doing that. Geez do as I told you and you won't have any issues.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I do as TM does, I have mine set to notify me, as I don't like surprise reboots after I go to bed, or when I'm on the computer.

Like Nibs said, those stubborn updates, just do one at a time. The 17 or so that's going through good, let them roll through. Then tackle the others, one by one.

Cat

Reaction score
Ok, I checked the PC this morning (May 10th) and it is running fine. Now I have to decide about 46 updates ready to install. I have to go thru each one of them to see if I need them. Thanks everyoneo for your help.

iS

Ask a Question