Upgrading problems for W7 home premium to W7 Ultimate

Reaction score
Hi
DVD goes to intall>copying files>Error code:0x80070490?
Do I clean install or some other method?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off are you coming from 32-bit or 64-bit and are you going to 32 or 64-bit? (I only ask because changing bit-size complicates things)

To upgrade from W7 home prem to ultimate you buy any "Anytime Upgrade from Premium to Ultimate". With the Anytime upgrade all your accounts and files etc are kept intact. This method does not allow you to change bit size though; if you had 32-bit you will be 32-bit Ultimate and if you had 64 you will be 64-bit ultimate. If you want to switch from 32 to 64-bit then what you would do is reinstall home premium in 64-bit using your old premium key and a custom install and then anytime upgrade to ultimate.

If you actually bought a full or upgrade version of Ultimate then you paid more than you needed PLUS it will require you to do a "custom install". With a custom install you must back up all your accounts (userid files/settings) and all your data. Next you custom install the Ultimate OS. Then you recreate your accounts and install all your drivers and your programs and restore all your data.

NOTE: As long as you are not going from 64-bit home prem to 32-bit ultimate the Windows Easy Transfer (WET) can help you migrate your accounts but you will need another HD/flash drives to store the data.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi
I have 64 bit versions of both versions.
At $25 AU I thought it was a good deal.I still don't see what to do?
Yes I understand to do a back up but when I checked the upgrade was $200 US or am I looking in the wrong spot?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you got a legal copy for AU$25 rather than an Anytime Upgrade then yes it is well worth the extra work you will need to do; a custom install is required.

Do you have an external harddrive to back up your current data?

It is recommended you backup all your drivers. Some information and a choice of two products that can help are listed HERE. Easiest would be to burn these to a CD.

Gather all of your programs install disks because they must all be reinstalled fresh after the new OS is in.

Type Windows Easy Transfer into the start search and use it to back up you accounts and your data. Be sure to check the advanced options to verify it has all your data selected. Back up all this to an external harddrive and shut down and disconnect this data.

Boot up to the Ultimate DVD and you need to tell it to custom install & format the drive and install. There is a tutorial HERE that should help (print it out or write down any important points prior to starting the procedure)

After the system is installed boot up and install any missing drivers.

Run WET to restore your accounts & data.

Install all your programs.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
A couple of questions here:

1. Why do want to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate? The difference is not really that great, except for XP Virtual Mode and Bit Locker.

2. Have you tried the Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade from online? I hear it works pretty good.

3. If you have the install DVD for Ultimate just put it in DVD drive and check your BIOS to be sure the DVD Driver is set as "First Boot Device" and then reboot and go from there.

Ask a Question