SOLVED W7 and Word 2002 problem

Reaction score
I know I need to update but for the moment --
When I try and open a Word document, it says "This file is in use by another application or user .........".
Then to close it takes me to Templates and wants me to keep makin doc. files called Normal.doc

The word works fine on my old XP computer that I am trying to give up for W7 but it is hard.
Any suggestions ??:dontknow:

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. As I said in my initial inquiry, I know I need to update my Word, I just don't happen to have $279 handy.

I solved the problem by going to System Restore and restoring to an earlier date which luckily worked out for me. The Word 2002 is working again outside of reminding me everyday I need to update.
Thanks again.:)
Patti

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you got it working; from their compatibility center answer, I'm surprised it even installs. You might also consider trying the free Open Source office application OpenOffice.Org. It's not exactly the same but the $279 savings may make it worth learning the differences.

Reaction score
Word 2003 problems

Using W7 Ultima
I have a 35 pg document full of photograps I have created using Microsoft Word 2003. For some unknown reason Word has decided it will not longer accept any changes in editing.

I am at a loss as to where to begin looking

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you open a document twice the second instance may be opened Read-Only, or the file itself may be set to read-only. If you actually have made changes but now cannot save it then use the Save As function and name it something else.

I would close everything and reboot your machine (this should free any locking holds on the file). Then find the file in Windows Explorer and highlight it, Right-click, choose Properties, General Tab at the bottom is Attributes. Make sure Read-only is NOT checked.

Try to edit the file.

Please, report back with results: was it marked Read-Only and does it work now?

Reaction score
I apologize for not sending a new query re Word 2003. Thank you for your response.
I renamed my document and saved it. It is not marked read only. On this new copy I could type on it and save that but not if I insert a new image.

At the top of the title page of Word when I click "Save as" or just "Save" the words "not responding" appear and everything freezes. I get asked do you want to save ...? and if I say "yes" nothing happens. If I say "no" it sometime closes without saving my edit or just continues to freeze (the Menues ae all greyed out) then I have to do a control, alternate, delete and get Word to close that way.

This only is happening with this one document, nothing else.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's possible the file is just too big. I would try splitting it into two documents.

Reaction score
Well, you were RIGHT again. Thank you again. I split the document (532MB) and seems ok. I will mark this as Solved.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The size problem was most likely memory related so generally the solution I offered to split the file is the easiest and cheapest. Updating to a newer version of Word might help (if they changed how memory is managed) or adding RAM might help, but I cannot promise either would help for certain. I'm guessing maybe lutrsienna meant to say update the version of Word?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I was saying that a newer version of Word or more computer RAM might allow you to edit larger files. And I can only say MIGHT because I don't know.

Ask a Question