SOLVED Word 2002 Custom Dictionary

Reaction score
Hi, I have been writing a book for years, using Word 2002 (W7). I have never understood the custom dictionaries. As the book is for US and contains lots of foreign names, I would like the dictionary to be US.

The book has several sections and uses different styles. I find some sections use the US custom dictionary which is named as default and others use the UK yet when I go to modify the custom dictionary to change it to US, it is already using the US.

In other words does anyone know how I can have the document use the US dictionary?:dontknow:
Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you "add" words to the Word dictionary they are stored in a separate file (custom.dic). You should be able to edit these entries or even delete them ... see HERE.

I personally have never tried to tell Word to use different dictionaries in different sections but I do know Word 2010 has the ability to proof different languages in different sections ... see Step 3 HERE. If the old version cannot do that (I'm not sure myself, never had the need) then it may be worth it to you to upgrade.

As for telling it to not use the custom dictionary in one section but allow it in another, I was not able to find anything on doing that but perhaps others may be able to help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help.
I have tried your suggestions. I have succeeded in getting the US Custom dictionary to be used when I chack the spelling of all the document except when using one particular Style. No matter what I do it always flips back to UK dicionary when I spell check. This raises heck, if I was a better speller - oh well.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Hi, I think I just solved this OLD problem. I tried Help one more time "Set Language for Style>modify. Styles & Formating task pane comes up. R click the Style in question>modify. Modify Style Menu comes up clicked >Format>Language>English US and it seems fixed!
I have treid for years to fix this, just have to keep pushing buttons and asking for help. Thanks

Reaction score
Hi again. Sorry, but same problem now on other styles. Tried fixing, no luck. I love Word but sometimes. I know I need to upgrade.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just a hunch but setting the language on the styles might only effect "future" uses, not times you already have used it. Also, it is likely that even if you upgrade that the settings in your original document will still be respected, so upgrading won't solve your issue.

As I said I've never used multiple languages but whenever I want to make changes to an existing document I select the whole thing and then with it highlighted I make the change so that it applies to everything. To test it (using my word 2007) I selected everything and then clicked on the language in the bottom status line and clicked Mark selected text as English (United States); you should be able to do something similar in the older version.

Reaction score
You are so right about the settings affecting only future documents. I then clicked Select All as you said and all is well:)

I am a US expat living in UK. Thus most of my writings are using a UK dictionary. My book is for US so needed US dictionary. I think I may have started the book those many years ago using the UK dictionary and then set everything else to use the US dictionary. So the mixup.

Thanks so much, a very annoying problem solved!

Ask a Question