Vista to 7 better for gaming?

Reaction score
I've been contemplating on whether I should upgrade my Vista to Windows7 or if I should just buy a new laptop.

My laptop runs Vista and has a 2 gig ram and I play MMORPGs like Maplestory and WoW, but the games run really choppy compared to when I play them on my CPU that runs XP. I heard it's like this because Vista eats up memory, is this correct?
Also I've read that the 64-bit windows7 version is more gamer friendly, but I only have 2 gigs of ram, would the 64-bit version still run well or would geting the 32-bit one be better for my gaming experience?

Reaction score
i run w7 64bit i think its far better mate as it has directx 10 also check what games ur playing as some have 64bit patchs u could also google tuner programs that stop things like aero and thnigs that run in the backround it will stop them till u play ur games what r your computer specs ?
if your pc or loptop can handle 64bit then defny use it i do an its way better hope this helps im new here just trying to help let me know regards john

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You should have no issues going with the x64 Windows 7.

In addition, later on when you add more RAM, you'll really notice the difference.

Stick with the x64 Windows and enjoy life in the fast lane.

Reaction score
so even with 2 gigs of ram the 64bit would still run smoothly? cuz i'm not planning on buying more ram for this laptop. my laptop is HP by the way.

Reaction score
yes m8 2 gigs would be fine to check your system specs right click on the computer icon either on your desktop or in the start menu and go to properties windows 7 x64 rocks my friend ;)

aanother way to check your computer specs is go to start menu type in dxdiag then click on that little window will pop up click yes hope this helps

Last edited:
Reaction score
oh dang well thats good to hear then, i guess i'll check prices today

well here's are my specs i guess

Model: HP pavilion dv2500 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD turion(tm) 64 X2 TL-58 1.90 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit operating System

i copied it exactly

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You should have no issues going with the x64 Windows 7.

In addition, later on when you add more RAM, you'll really notice the difference.

Stick with the x64 Windows and enjoy life in the fast lane.
100% agreed! RAM costs less than ever before. If you do decide to upgrade your RAM, stick to one of the major brands such as Crucial or Kingston. With Crucial, you can download a scanner that will generate a report of your options, and make a suggestion as to what to install. Stay away from suppliers that sells "refurbished" RAM sticks, they may be cheaper, but new is better. You'll enjoy 64 bit Windows 7. Make sure you backup all of your drivers for your laptop. It would be a good idea to download the latest drivers, and save them to a DVD or thumb drive in case you need them. Best of luck to your install, if you need further help, feel free to post back at anytime.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
oh dang well thats good to hear then, i guess i'll check prices today

well here's are my specs i guess

Model: HP pavilion dv2500 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD turion(tm) 64 X2 TL-58 1.90 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit operating System

i copied it exactly
Just get yourself an OEM version of Windows 7. The Home Premium version is about $105 on Newegg with free shipping.

Here's a LINK

Reaction score
well i dont have a credit card to actually order things online, i was planning on going to bestbuy to get the upgrade. but what's the OEM?

oh and my WEI score is 3.0.... and the lowest score (3.0) is on the 3d and gaming graphics area. would upgrading to windows7 bring this up or would it be better to wait and just buy a new laptop?

Last edited:
Reaction score
so i went off and bought what the guy recommended me... the home premium edition... updated my laptop, installed my games... now none of my games will work... idunno what to do

Reaction score
well i dont have a credit card to actually order things online, i was planning on going to bestbuy to get the upgrade. but what's the OEM?

oh and my WEI score is 3.0.... and the lowest score (3.0) is on the 3d and gaming graphics area. would upgrading to windows7 bring this up or would it be better to wait and just buy a new laptop?
An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, manufactures products or components that are purchased by a company and retailed under that purchasing company's brand name . OEM refers to the company that originally manufactured the product.Windows 7 comes for with OEM installations to specifically set to proper hardware.OEM system builder software packs are intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended for distribution to end users. Unless the end user is actually assembling his/her own PC, in which case, that end user is considered a system builder as well.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score

Upgrading to Windows 7 may help a little, but if your score is 3.0, it won't put it into the 7 range by any means. This has to do with your video card and/or related hardware. My desktop that was bought in November has the same score in this area. However, I don't play games, so it doesn't matter to me. Hopefully, when I have to buy another computer, I'll be able to make these choices.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score

If you live in the USA, you can get a Netspend card for free. It costs a little to use it, usually around $1.00 per transaction.

It's a prepaid debit card basically. You can recharge it online from your bank account or there are many places which will recharge it for you. Some charge, some do it for free. I happen to be lucky and there's a huge supermarket chain in Texas that will recharge it for free.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are FULL VERSION software. It's just that you won't get any M$ tech support for it. You're basically on your own. It's for people who build computers for other people or their own computers. (M$ frowns on the people "who build their own" but not much they can do about it.) I have put OEM versions on several customers' and friends' computers with no issues at all. It will install on either a desktop or a laptop. OEM are sold with only one disc though, either 32 bit or 64 bit. BUT, you can use the product key for either version, so if you decide later you want to go from a 32 bit to a 64 bit you can download the 64 bit version ISO image.

OEM versions are the least expensive way to go with a Windows 7 install.

If you "truly" want a great game experience it's best to go the desktop route. There you can choose the components that best suit your needs; such as CPU, RAM, motherboard, video card, etc. Most laptops don't have the hardware necessary for a hardcore gamer. Laptops are limited by their cooling ability, CPU, video card, and RAM size.

There are some laptops that will run quite a few games, but like a desktop would with optimized video card and RAM.

For checking your system specs, there is a free software called: S.I.W. (System Information for Windows). It will give you a COMPLETE rundown of all your hardware, software, drivers, etc. I highly recommend it, plus it's free to non-business users.

Go to: http://www.gtopala.com/ to download it. Look for the free version.

I hope this helps with your decision-making process.

Ask a Question