Virus

saf

Reaction score
Hi all,

Let say my Computer is infected with Virus..if i have clean formatted my C: Windows 7 does it mean my drive C:,D:,E:, and F: are still infected with virus.

Reaction score
It depends on which malware you've had. Some have the ability to stay even after a format. In this case, a low level format is needed to wipe the drive clean before Windows re-installation.

Reactions: saf

saf

Reaction score
It depends on which malware you've had. Some have the ability to stay even after a format. In this case, a low level format is needed to wipe the drive clean before Windows re-installation.
Thnx 4 the reply.Even my PC have 2 different HDD still need to clean format install?

Reaction score
I once had a virus that wrote itself to the Boot Record and was also Memory Resident. The only way at the time I could find to remove it was to remove all partition and then turn the computer off. After which I needed a Boot disk that wasn't contaminated.

Most of the Mal-ware I have had experience with the last few years, can be removed fairly easy.

A bigger question after purging a system from Mal-ware, is how much damage did it cause to your computer while it was running. This is where a Restore Point will come in handy, that is if you still have an Operating System installed afterward.

Reaction score
Thnx 4 the reply.Even my PC have 2 different HDD still need to clean format install?
Depends what you mean by 2 different HDD. Do you mean there is a 2nd HDD drive in the case which is connected all the time? What sort of data is on the drive. Or do you mean an external HDD which you conect via USB.

If the 2nd drive has been online all the time you have to suspect it being infected, it really depends on the virus you have and to some degree if you have been accessing the 2nd drive while your system has been infected.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No matter whether your other HD is internal or external, if it was connected to this computer it could be carrying infected files, that goes for any flash drives, any CD/DVDs you burned. Any writable media that touched that machine after it was infected COULD be infected, that doesn't mean it is, it just means you need to remove everything, disable autorun of cd/dvds and flash drives and then scan them one by one once you have your primary HD (and CPU/memory which are cleared on shut down but generally reloaded by an evil startup service) clean.

I suggest you remove everything but your primary HD. Then try downloading one or more of the exes for rkill and run them and reboot over & over until you are clear. Then run malwarebytes and run a complete virus scan. If you don't have any anti-virus software then download and run Microsoft Security Essentials and run a full scan. Then reboot again. Finally as I said above, disable autorun and then slowly insert HDs, flash drives, and CD/DVDs you made while at risk and do a full scan on each.

This may work. Viruses can be really nasty.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Great suggestion TM on the RKill program... nearly forgot about it myself.

That's the fun part about having ADD, sometimes life get to be relived all over again! LOL!

Ask a Question