Genuine Microsoft Software virus

Reaction score
I was using my laptop as usual a few days ago and I got a pop up saying it was gonna be logging me off in less than a minute. I then closed that pop up message and it restarted. I am able to login, but I can't do much more than that. I have no idea how I got this virus (I haven't downloaded anything suspicious that would load this on here). I wish I could go back and do a system restore, but that's not possible right now for obvious reasons (no restore point available). Clicking on the screen, I get this message in the screenshot. Also, I'm not looking to do a clean install as it would wipe all data I have on the HD and have no room on my external to back up otherwise I would do a clean install. I'm looking to undo any changes before this happened. As instructed by another forum, I created a HitmanPro USB drive.

Had to download the 32-bit version as that's the only laptop I had available not infected and it's loaded with Vista. I shut down my infected laptop, connected the USB and when it came time for me to hit f12 and boot the USB to use HitmanPRO, it said it was loading it, but then automatically loaded startup repair for some reason. I let that run, shut down the lappy, turned it on and let it go to the login screen. I selected shut down and tried again with the usb and the same result. What am I doing wrong? I just want this virus gone and access to my laptop again! The somewhat odd thing is that my antivirus didn't catch this.

Please help!

Steve

Posting this from my iPad

image.jpeg

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try booting to safe mode (hit F8 on boot up to get advanced menu) & use "system restore" to go back to a previously stored version. (Is it that you can't get to the restore or are you saying there really aren't any?)

Last edited:

Ask a Question