Upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium OEM?

Reaction score
My new computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I have an expensive slide scanner and an early Photoshop Elements program that won't work in a 64-bit environment. Drivers are not available. Everything worked with Windows XP.
  1. Does upgrading with a key from an OEM version of Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional yield the same build as a clean install from a purchased disc, e.g. does it have the option of using the 32-bit and/or 64-bit mode?
  2. If limited to one version is it possible to switch to the other later?
  3. Is the 32-bit mode virtual Windows XP?
I have searched several forums and found a lot of confusion and no clear answers.Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What you can do is do a clean or custom install with Windows Home Premium 32-bit version and use the same OEM key. It should work out alright.

Go here https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html to download the Home Premium 32-bit version and then burn the DVD ISO image to a good quality blank DVD at no faster than 4X burning speed using ImgBurn software, which is free.

I personally recommend staying away from upgrade installs, they cause nothing but problems and are buggy.

It is not possible to "upgrade" or "downgrade" from 64-bit to 32-bit. You MUST do a clean or custom install, there's no other way around it.

Be sure download all the necessary 32-bit drivers for your hardware prior to install and store them on a thumb flash drive or a CD-RW disc or external hard drive.

I hope I answered your questions. Keep us posted. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I tried the link but the message "404 - File or directory not found" was all I got. Do you have any other leads?

I'm not familiar with Keys, OEM or otherwise. Is "the same OEM key" you mentioned provided with the 32-bit download? If I use an OEM key do I get a full version? I read somewhere that OEM versions are different in some repects.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I tried the link but the message "404 - File or directory not found" was all I got. Do you have any other leads?

I'm not familiar with Keys, OEM or otherwise. Is "the same OEM key" you mentioned provided with the 32-bit download? If I use an OEM key do I get a full version? I read somewhere that OEM versions are different in some repects.

Thanks for your quick reply.
Sorry about the bad link, apparently the sticky in this forum's subsection of "Installation, Setup and Updates" isn't working now.

Try this one: 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x86 ISO http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65732.iso

All the OEM designation does is not provide any Tech Support from Microsoft. It's still a full version software and no difference between it and the full retail version or upgrade version. Since it's an OEM key, you are considered the "system builder" of the computer so you provide your own tech support, so to speak.

It's the product key that is the designator on what version of the program is installed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A custom (fresh) is recommended for all upgrades, because it tends to be more stable, but to make sure it is clear: the upgrade in place option is ONLY available from the corresponding Vista version/Bit-size. So if you had Vista Home 32-bit then you could only upgrade in place to W7 Home Prem 32-bit. If you were XP it has to be a custom install. If switching from Vista 32 to W7 64 (or God forbid from Vista 64 to W7 32) then again it is a custom install. And if switching from Ultimate or Professional to Home Prem then again it's a custom install.

Before you reinstall: you would do well to download the 32-bit drivers for all your components, the 64 bit drivers will not work.

Also be aware that any special software provided by the manufacturer, such as onscreen volume displays and special function keys on your keyboard, would need to be installed or replaced for that functionality to be available in W7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi PaulinWA,

Here is more information:

To best learn whether your computer can be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, download the Upgrade Advisor that will analyze if your PC is ready for Windows 7 Professional: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Windows 7 Professional does offer two options: 32-bit and 64-bit. For the 32-bit VS. 64-bit, a main deciding factor for 32-bit versus 64-bit is whether you usually run a lot of apps at once and/or swtich between them a lot. If yes, you probably want to go with 64-bit. The other big factor is whether your software and hardware are compatible with 64-bit processing. A FAQ with answers to questions about the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows is at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/64-bit-support.aspx.

Further, both the 32-bit and 64-bit offer the Windows XP Mode. For step-by-step instructions on how to download and install Windows XP Mode for Windows 7, go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7#section_3 and click "Show all" to follow the directions.

So, here is a lengthy reply :), but I hope it answered all your questions. Please let us know if you have any further questions related Windows 7 Professional

Ahmad AA

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since you are already running Home Premium 64 I don't see the upgrade advisor as much help. You already know it can run 64-bit and any programs that can't run on it you found out when you tried.

But I was thinking. If you don't want to replace 64 with 32 for everything you might consider an anytime upgrade to Professional (about US$80 on amazon) or if you own a copy of XP discs you could try other free virtual windows. With a virtual XP window you can run your scanner and your one piece of software while still having the benefits of a 64-bit environment. Check out the Virtualization section of our Freeware Database.

If your new computer has more than 4GB of RAM then I wouldn't even consider switching to a 32-bit OS.

Reaction score
TrainableMan, I did not notice that PaulinWA is using a 64-bit. My mistake :)

Thanks for your great follow up :)

Ask a Question