Can not upgrade from Vista to Windows7 Home Premium

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade Vista to Windows7 Home Premium and I got this message after the installer copied ~2GB of files on my PC:

"setup can't continue. restart the computer and restart setup. when prompted try getting the latest updates."

I restarted the PC and restarted the setup and I got the same message. I updated the Mother Board Bios and restarted the setup I got the same message. I have tried both options (get update and no update during the setup). And it didn't work.

I do not want to do custom install (fresh install) on my computer.

I appreciate if someone can help me on this issue.

Thanks!:)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are your starting the upgrade from the Vista desktop and restarting?

I had issues like that when I got the RC back in April. I had to change to a boot-up install, setting the BIOS in my mobo to have the DVD drive as the first boot device and then I chose the Upgrade option at the beginning of the install. Try this, if you haven't already and see if it works for you.

I know you stated that you would "prefer" to do an upgrade versus a clean install. I would HIGHLY recommend that you do a clean install. Your system will run much smoother and experience far fewer, if any, problems. The OS is snappier and more responsive. Many who have done the upgrade start experiencing issues after a month or so down the road. Bing or Google it... you'll see what I mean.

I hope all works out well on the upgrade/install. Windows 7 rocks!

Ask a Question