Windows 7 upgrade, when they pry it from my cold, hands - I think

Reaction score
I will go buy a new computer tomorrow, I was thinking I want to buy and install Windows 7 Pro.

I love Windows 7 and everything about it, it does everything I need and more.

I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't buy it. I'm quite handy with backing up and restoring from backups. I enjoy formatting the hard drive once a year and doing a fresh install start because it runs better afterwards.

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy it today?

Will it still get security updates?

Will I encounter problems doing my annual format and reinstall?

Until when?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you buy a new Windows computer then it will have Windows 10. Odds are there will not be drivers available to make that computer work using Windows 7 or at the very least you will probably loose features like "touch screen" if you buy a laptop with touch screen capabilities for example.

Reaction score
Windows 10 is ok. They got about 90% of the way through fixing the things that made 8 suck. I just wish they'd have finished that last 10% of polish.

The control panel/settings is still hot mess of hybrid "new UI" and the older Win7 UI. Example: Go into Network settings. Click Ethernet, then Change Adapter options. Instead of letting you change the settings, it pops you out to the old ncpa.cpl app, when they really should have moved all of the settings into the new UI.

Another one that drives me bat shit crazy is if I right click on something and choose "Open with" ... "Open with other app", Windows 10 gives me a "New UI" dialog that gives me a list of programs. Unlike the "old UI" listbox, I can no longer jump to the first letter by typing it (like "N" for notepad.exe). It's a long list of executables so the lack of the keyboard shortcut is annoying.

The lack of direct ability to disable updates is also annoying. I have some entertainment systems that I really don't ever want to be bothered with an automatic update prompt. They're not used to surf the web and in the highly unlikely event that they do get compromised, a wipe and reload just not a big deal. I shouldn't need a pro OS and GPEdit.msc just to disable updates.

I'm still not sold on the new UI in general. I appreciate minimalism and clean lines but the new look that was introduced with Windows 8 and continued with 10 is a bit TOO plain, making it difficult to differentiate important UI elements. Windows 7's UI is just more pleasing and consistent to me and updating window 7 drivers is also very simple.

Ask a Question