system restore?

Reaction score
There is no system restore point on my machine. I would create one and then the next day it would be gone. Sayin there is no restore point. I would create one again. Then in two days it would be gone again. Anybody have any ideas why no restore point is created. System should create its own restore points from time to time. Plus when I create one , it is gone too the next time I check?????

Reaction score
system restore

My problem is not solved. I have read and done what the others have done. I still do not have a restore point. Looks like this unsolveable. thanks anyway....

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
If you have a specific problem you need to restore from, please elaborate further.
If your Sys Restore isn't working , you may have disabled it. Not likely so here is an alternative. Downlaod and install the free program ERUNT.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

This is a great program that backs up your registry every time you boot up or any time you want. It works in Win7 and Vista despite the confusion on the webste. You may have to disable the UAC.

It has saved my bacon 10 - 12 times in the last 4 years on XP and Win7. Y ou can turn off your Sys Restore for good. Or leave it on. It doesn't matter, it does not conflict.

Again please let us know if there is a certain problem you need help restoring from, or are you just concerned about the lack of restore points.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I'm just concerned about the lack of restore points. And why the system is not creating any. And why when I do one , it disappears after I shut down.. I will download that program. Thank you...

Reaction score
After reading some on this ERUNT I'm afraid to download the program.....

Reaction score
Question - I am running Mozy for backup. From Mozy.com. Could that have anything to do with the restore problem?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Mozy, although a quick look at their site did not turn up anyone who is having similar issues with Restore. But that doesn't mean anything.

So could you just check your Sys Restore settings in the control panel and post back.

I just created one on my system in about 20 seconds. I have my C partition set at 5%. What's yours? Also, do you have a raid set-up on there?

One more ?
Did you clean install Win7 or upgrade from another Win OS?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The BEST way to save your system image is to make a backup image of the C drive.

Use Macrium Reflect Free, it is a very good system backup application, is VERY fast and best of all it's free!

Click on the "Download Now" button below and save the program, then install it.

The fastest disk imaging software is now available as a free edition.
Absolutely free! No strings! The only free XP, Vista and Windows 7 compatible disk imaging software with BartPE and Linux based recovery options.

• Create a disk image whilst running Windows using Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS).
  • Image to Network, USB, FireWire drives and DVD.
  • Built in scheduler.
  • 32 bit and native 64 bit versions.
  • Industry leading compression levels and speed.
  • Linux based Rescue CD with Network access and full GUI. Only 6.5MB in size!
  • Built in CD/DVD packet writing engine. Supports packet writing to DVD DL media with Windows Vista.
  • HTML log files.

Version information

Version: v4.2.2525
Date: 18th March 2010
File Size: 31.8 MB
File Name: reflect_setup_free_x86_x64.exe
MD5 Hash:3dc6302fc3cd8928988df1c358661986
Windows Versions: XP, Vista, Windows 7. 32 and native 64 Bit.

Note: This installation file contains the 32 and 64 bit versions of Macrium Reflect. The correct version will be automatically installed.

Reaction score
O.K. yodap - my C partition is 15 %, have no raid set up. And did a upgrade , Win 7 from Vista 64 bit.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Macrium does not take the place of system restore. It is a different kind of back-up program, very much like Acronis True Image. It is a good program and as stated a free version is available. It makes an image of your OS partition or any other partition. The images should then be stored on another hard drive, internal or external or on dvd or other removable media. Another program that does this is Todo Backup by Easeus. http://www.todo-backup.com/
Windows7 has this capability as well. Click on the start orb and type back up in the search box and click on "back up your computer". You will be taken to the appropriate page.

Erunt is more like system restore.

Now, getting back to your problem, it is very possible that something has been carried over from Vista that is interfering with your system restore tool. I can't put my finger on it but I found evidence of similar posts on other forums like this one.http://jogtheweb.computing.net/articles/System-Restore/Windows7-2
In this one the guy ended up doing a clean reinstall and it solved his problem. You may want to think about doing that. If system restore is your one and only problem, you could live with out it and not do a reinstall but gain back that hard disk space.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Windows7 has this capability as well. Click on the start orb and type back up in the search box and click on "back up your computer". You will be taken to the appropriate page.
That is true, however Acronis True Image and Marcrium Reflect are much faster and easier to use.

Reaction score
I restarted my computer and a window poped up saying "unable to create file c;\windows\ERDNT\auto bacvkup\3-29-2010\ERDNT.INF and more then it said restoration done by using another OS... and so on... So now my question is what is the best way to uninstall this ERDNT ?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I restarted my computer and a window poped up saying "unable to create file c;\windows\ERDNT\auto bacvkup\3-29-2010\ERDNT.INF and more then it said restoration done by using another OS... and so on... So now my question is what is the best way to uninstall this ERDNT ?
Use the Control Panel - Programs function to uninstall it. That should work for you.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Do you want you give up so quickly?

If so, uninstall it the usual way. Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features> highlight it and click uninstall

Attachments

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
That is true, however Acronis True Image and Marcrium Reflect are much faster and easier to use.
I'm not arguing with you here.

I don't find the windows image back-up difficult at all. Slow? Yes.

Acronis is for pay.

I've used Macrium Free for about 3 years. Back then they had problems in that every time they updated the version, your old images would not work any more and neither would your recovery disc. I found out the hard way. I hope they have addressed this issue by now. I know that they recently had an update so someone should check this out.

I recently gave it up for Todo from Easeus. Todo takes a little longer to create the images at the default compression rate and they are a little larger. Neither of these things is a big deal to me. They may be for others. It has a more simplistic user interface. The main reason I switched is strictly personal preference.

And for the benefit of Socko, These programs are for recovering from a disaster like a corrupted system do to virus and malware that you can not eradicate using conventional means.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm not arguing with you here.

I don't find the windows image back-up difficult at all. Slow? Yes.

Acronis is for pay.

I've used Macrium Free for about 3 years. Back then they had problems in that every time they updated the version, your old images would not work any more and neither would your recovery disc. I found out the hard way. I hope they have addressed this issue by now. I know that they recently had an update so someone should check this out.

I recently gave it up for Todo from Easeus. Todo takes a little longer to create the images at the default compression rate and they are a little larger. Neither of these things is a big deal to me. They may be for others. It has a more simplistic user interface. The main reason I switched is strictly personal preference.

And for the benefit of Socko, These programs are for recovering from a disaster like a corrupted system do to virus and malware that you can not eradicate using conventional means.
Thanks for the warning regarding Macrium Free, yodap! I didn't know anything about if the program updates, your backup is no good. I use the Windows one for 7, and Macrium for XP Pro and Win 2K. I need to try the one you mentioned for those systems.

Ask a Question