Cant system restore

Reaction score
My computer is a tower pc about 18months old with heaps of memory and capacity. It came with win7 premium w-service pack1. I am unable to make it do a system restore.

I have ensured system restore is enabled, I have disabled anti-virus and all external hard drives and devices have been removed. In addition I have used the inbuilt troubleshoot options and it cannot find anything wrong and I have done a Check-disc to find and fix any problems. It found nothing to fix. I use “Mozilla” and even removal of this program made no difference. Every time Microsoft sends update it creates a new restore point yet attempting to restore to any of these points consistently results in the error message of “Error 0x80070005” Any help would be welcome.

Reaction score
error code 0x80070005 in general means access denied. That you don't have the privilege to do that.

Suggestions :
1. Go to safe mode and do a full virus scan.
How to go to safe mode......
Restart computer > immediately and repeatedly tap at F8 key until you see a black and white screen. That is your Safe Mode > use the up/down arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking > login to your admin account.

Install Malwarebytes (free edition ). It is one of the best for the job.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/free/
After install, you will be prompted to do the update. Do so. Then go to Scanner tab and do a full scan.

2. Still in safe mode, do a system restore.

Please post back the result.

Reaction score
Davidhk129, Thank you for the timely resonse advice, I first checked that anti virus was disabled as well as the inbuilt windows protection then did as you suggested, in safe mode only and it found a number of items it quarantined, and a re start followed by another full new scan said nothing found. The malware program would not update, this option seemed blocked by the malware program. I then looked at your instructions and saw the proviso "Safe and network" so i did this also in safe networking as you suggested. Interestingly the malware program on this attempt easily allowed an update and following the update the subsequent full scan found a half a dozen items to quarantine. However it would not go back to any restore point and several different ones were tried in safe, safe networking, and also in normal operational mode. Same consistent result was in the error message of “Error 0x80070005”
By the way i am the only one shown as the user and am the account is always as used by the administrator. I checked the computer and it showed this to be true. So behind the 8 ball, any further wrinkles in the grey stuff would be appreciated
Anyone out there who can shed light into the dark corners feel free. Thanks, Cal :rolleyes:

Reaction score
RE : Malwarebytes quarantine
Go back to the quarantine tab and remove all of them. Don't leave them there.

Suggestions only :

1. Create another admin account > login to the new admin > try system restore.
If you are successful in doing system restore, then your old admin account is corrupted.

2. If the above method is no go......
Do a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
Back to normal mode > click Start button > in the search box, type cmd > to left, RIGHT click at cmd.exe > select Run As Administrator > in the flashing prompt copy and paste this command......
sfc /scannow
press Enter key.

The process will take quite some time. Be patient.
When it is done, it will tell you one of followings........(paraphrasing)
No integrity violation found.
Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You say you disabled your anti-virus ... Disabling is not the same as uninstalling because it leaves drivers and services in place. What A/V do you use?

Ask a Question