Starsear.ch virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all!!!
I am totally new and I probably don't know how to describe correctly my problem but I will try to be as clear as possible.
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a DELL laptop. I am running Avast free and I am using internet just for studies (I am a researcher in social studies).
I don't know what I did wrong but, somehow, yesterday my browsers -google chrome, mozilla firefox and internet explorer 9- were infected (without avast noticing it) by starsear.ch.
What that thing does is to make my homepage (following address deleted by moderator). It also directs some of my search to this website without me asking for it.

Can you please help me with removing it?

Thanks in advance for your help

biubou

I deleted the address you placed in as your link, as it is the very link which will pass the virus on to anyone who clicks it! davehc

Last edited by a moderator:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Removal manually is a very involved process, and, from your comment, not something you should undertake.
You can try, here is a walkthrough

http://www.spyware-review.net/remove-starsear-ch/

But I would reccomend, as indicated on the page, that you google for and get a virus removal program deictaed to such viruses.

It is essential that you get rid of it as soon as possible. Apart from being mischievous, it is also a keylogger and is sending back information on any passwords and confidential information you are accessing from your computer.

Reaction score
Thank you davehc!!
I am downloading it now.
P.S. I did not place any address as my link but thanks for deleting it.

Reaction score
I run spyware doctor and it really found some infections I did not know I had but it didn't do anything about starsear.ch
And I do not really have money to buy all these anti virus who claim to clean.
Can anyone please have some more time to guide me through manual cleaning?

Thanks again for caring

biubou

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
The Kaspersky virus removal tool linked to above is totally free! Try that before you need to go down the manual removal path.
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011 is not intended for real-time protection of computer.

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011 provides no update function. The up-to-date version of the application with the latest version of anti-virus databases is always available on the website of Kaspersky Lab Technical Support service.

Advantages:

• The application is absolutely free.
  • Simple application interface.
  • Installation on an infected computer. Including:
  • The installation process does not require interaction with the user anymore.
  • Closing the main window is enough to uninstall the application form a computer.
  • Automatic scan and disinfection

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If Elmers suggestion does not work, the link I gave you is very precise in it's manual instruction. I doubt we could better it!

Reaction score
I used the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011 but still no change.
About the link, it is for windows XP and Vista. I made it though to find out how to follow the instructions but I can't find anywhere in my laptop starsear.ch file.

If it is possible and there is the patience guide me through it. I know how to use snipping tool and I can send you photos.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You might consider installing the free version Malwarebyte's Antimalware software. I used it a few months ago to clean a friend's computer that had over 750 registry infections and errors and it did a very thorough job and cleaned up every bit of the infection.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I could analyze your system with an OTL log if you could download the latest version of OTL and post that in your next reply. Some malware removal tools can't remove viruses because they lock themselves in your processes and render themselves hidden, or somehow find a way into your %SystemRoot% locations. Some even use registry entries to run on startup, and are continually infecting your system.

Reaction score
Hi Ace!
Can you please tell me where from shall I download this OTL?

P.S: It would be very useful if someone of you has ever dealt with this virus because it seems like nobody really knows and you just try to figure out while I keep downloading programmes that don't really help and make my Windows slower and slower.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The link does refer to Vista, but is exactly the same for 7. I have changed the parts of the text to suit your Windows 7 installation.

To stop Starsear.ch processes:
Launch the Task Manager by pressing keys CTRL + Shift + ESC.
Click Processes tab, and find Starsear.ch processes.
If you find the Starsear.ch processes, right-click them and select “End Process” to kill Starsear.ch .
ok
NOW.
How to remove Starsear.ch registry keys:
Select your Windows menu “Start,” and click “Run.” An “Open” field will appear. Type “regedit” and click “OK” to open up your Registry Editor.
First it is important to backup the registry. IF you make a typo, you can spoil your OS installation. To do this, select File - Export, and export a copy of the registry to a safe place on your computer.
To find a registry key, such as any Starsear.ch registry keys, select “Edit,” then select “Find,” and in the search bar type any of Starsear.ch ’s registry keys.
As soon as Starsear.ch registry key appears, you can delete the Starsear.ch registry key by right-clicking it and selecting “Modify,” then clicking “Delete.”
Do this right through the registry. You may find several instances.
It seems your search did not find any Starsear.ch DLL files? But just try another search for Starsear.ch.Dll, or starsear.Dll - If you find any, right click and delete them.

If Starsear.ch change your homepage
Click Windows Start menu - Control Panel - Internet Options.
Under Home Page, select General - Use Default.
Type in the address you want as your home page (e.g., “http://www.google.com” would be good to start).
Select Apply > OK.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
P.S: It would be very useful if someone of you has ever dealt with this virus because it seems like nobody really knows and you just try to figure out while I keep downloading programmes that don't really help and make my Windows slower and slower.
Well, you were told how to remove it manually by Dave(Boulder Dash)HC through a link, but you wanted "something" to do it for you.

Any of the programs that have been suggested for you to download and run, once done, either self uninstall or just sit and wait for you to ask them to run again. None impact on your system.
I actually went out of my way to look for something that "allegedly" said it could deal with your problem.

(Walks off into the distance, muttering "Sheesh, some folks must think I got nothing better to do than screw them up).

Reaction score
Thank you davehc!!!
Your message is really helping someone like me who has no idea.
In any case, I am really disappointed by windows. I don't even know how this virus entered my system.
I decided to abandon windows software and I am now running linux.

P.S: I really can't understand your message.

Have fun guys and girls and thanks for your interest and the time you spent for me

biubou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question