SSD Hard Drive acting strange

Reaction score
Hello friends! I'm a newcomer to this forum. I have a question about a problem that I'm having with my SDD HD in my notebook.It's the first SDD that I've had as my Operating System holding Hard drive.

My Hard drive is FM-25S2S-120GBP2. Multiple times a day everything starts freezing, starts lagging, starts locking up. Especially when I'm browsing with Firefox and doing something else, for example watching a video in VLC, or writing something in a word document. This is a brand new hard drive in a brand new notebook.

I've run more scans with anti-virus programs, anti spyware & malware programs than anyone should in a year. I never find anything big, anything that would cause problems with a hard drive.

I've now run some scans with Hard Drive analysis programs. I have screenshots for you.

Here is the SSDLife Pro screenshots

Here is the scan with HD Tune Pro

I have re-installed Firefox numerous times, it causes no problems on 4 other notebooks I use. Two of those notebooks have SDD's as the OS Drives as well.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just a couple of questions:
1/ Did that drive come with the Laptop?
2/ Have you updated BIOS, Chipset drivers?
3/ Does MS IE run slow?

Shintaro

Reaction score
May I suggest that you update the any drivers. Use MS IE as a test to see if it is only related to Firefox.

Reaction score
May I suggest that you update the any drivers. Use MS IE as a test to see if it is only related to Firefox.
Okay I was using it for about an hour, yeah, almost the same thing, not as bad. But IE doesn't do anything that FF does, so it doesn't take as much memory.

Reaction score
So, I would suggest updating ALL drivers, BIOS, Chipset, etc.
Then, test the RAM.https://www.w7forums.com/memtest86-memory-testing-t9067.html
Okay I will leave this test to run overnight. Thank you

I turned it on for an run of about 60 minutes, it said 1 pass completed, but I don't see any file or anything that it has created with some results. So I guess I'm not sure what I'm supposed to report. I want to leave it on for the whole night, but how do I make it give me some kind of report?

Last edited:
Reaction score
well since nobody could tell me how to create a log, none was made. I woke up and it said 6 passes complete, no errors found.

Shintaro

Reaction score
That's ok. That eliminates the RAM.

So did you get a chance to update the drivers?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you changed any settings in the BIOS? RAM CAS timings, frequency settings, etc.

How big is your Page File or a.k.a. virtual memory?

Reaction score
Have you changed any settings in the BIOS? RAM CAS timings, frequency settings, etc.

How big is your Page File or a.k.a. virtual memory?
16,361mb is my page file.

The only things I have changed in the bios is boot order. Nothing on timing, frequency, or anything else.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Is there a new firmware for the drive?

If there is, from what I read, installing new firmware on a SSD can wipe the drive. BE CAREFUL please.

A total GUESS: I would say that there was a bad spot on the disk. But I am not sure how that relates to a SSD.

Is there a SSD utility that can check the integrity of the drive?

Or I see that there is a "Error Scan" tab on your 3rd screenshot. What does that report?

Reaction score
Is there a new firmware for the drive?

If there is, from what I read, installing new firmware on a SSD can wipe the drive. BE CAREFUL please.

A total GUESS: I would say that there was a bad spot on the disk. But I am not sure how that relates to a SSD.

Is there a SSD utility that can check the integrity of the drive?

Or I see that there is a "Error Scan" tab on your 3rd screenshot. What does that report?
The G Skill website sucks more than any manufacturer website that I have ever seen. They have no firmware or anything. I update everything I can with Windows Updater & DriverUpdate (their website is no longer there http://www.slimdrivers.com/)

There is no G Skill app that came pre-installed on here/ I have looked on their website and found nothing.

I have done that "Error Scan", it shows no errors every time.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I am out of idea's. But if the laptop is still under warranty, try and get it replaced or email G.Skill and explain what you have done, to try and resolve the fault.

Sorry.

Reaction score
Thank you for you help Shintaro & Nibiru2012. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I have written to G.Skill, and on Monday will see what I can do to replace it. I HATE re-installing everything. It is the biggest pain in the buttocks ever.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,
If possible can you keep us up to date with what is happening with your SSD.

Reaction score
Mate,
If possible can you keep us up to date with what is happening with your SSD.
Yes sir, as soon as I get something changed, I will post how I did it, and why and so on.

P.S.

Friends, when something says backup your data just in case, like on this firmware update program http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5721, does that mean it can erase my OS and all the programs installed too? Or does it mean backup stuff like photos, documents, stuff like that?

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,
I would take it as, it could destroy anything on the drive. So backup your most valuable stuff.

Ask a Question