Switching Between SSD And Hard Drive Issues

Reaction score
I recently installed a 128GB SSD to place Windows onto for faster boot times(Which I am only Mildly pleased with). I am now up and running on my SSD and I wish to play a game that is on my Hard Drive, However when I start the application It begins to install it onto my SSD instead of just running it using the files that are on the Hard Drive already. It also try's to do this with the program Steam and asks me to download games that are already installed on Origin. So my main goal is to use my SSD for windows(But I would love to place some steam games on there too for faster load times, but its not completely necessarily.) and my other Hard Drive for Video Gaming and other programs. Any help on how to go about this as it seems that I can not do this ATM would be greatly Appreciated. :)

Reaction score
When you install games, some files of the game are installed in operating system. So for this you have to re-install the game.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Agreed, generally you can't just install Windows onto an SSD and then continue using programs that were installed on a hard drive you now use as your secondary; the programs need reinstalled (including games) and when you install them use the advanced options to specify the folder where they are stored, including which drive.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hmm, old thread...

Steam is one program where you must install it to the same drive that you will be housing your games on. So if you have Steam installed to your SSD then you must uninstall it first and reinstall it to the hard drive (or move it, but that will take longer and some googling to properly do) before you can play Steam games from the hard drive.

Ask a Question