Running 32 bit aps on 64 bit W7

Reaction score
Ok...so it sounds like it should have an easy answer...but.....
I just ordered a new (lots of bells and whistles) laptop with a 64 bit W7 OS. (Home Premium)

Come to find out that one of the principle uses for my laptop is connecting with my work server using a Cisco VPN. MY IT guys at work tell me that I can't run through the Cisco VPN on a 64 bit system. Ergo...I can't reach the office server with my new laptop.

My question is (I hope) simple;
is it possible to run a 64 bit W7 in a "reverse compatible" 32 bit mode. Can I switch back and forth between 32 and 64. I am a relative novice...please forgive me if my apparently simple question comes with a complicated answer!

Reaction score
Hi Trader Dick - Welcome to w7forums

First question that I have is, Why does your IT guy say that about a 64-Bit system.

I'm not that familiar with Virtualization technology. I know Windows 7 64-Bit has both 32-Bit & 64-Bit bowser. Windows 7 will even run 32-Bit & 64-Bit applications. Networks are run from many different operating systems. I really don't see a problem as long as the same protocols are used for communications within the network.

To answer the question. No there is not a 32-Bit mode, the OS will run 32-Bit natively.

Reaction score
Thanx for the prompt reply Clifford... the note I got back when I asked if the new computer would work with our system was:

That's a negative on the 64 bit unless you want to purchase the 64 bit client from cisco and reconfig your firewall.

That's why I asked if W7 64 bit could be run in a 32 bit mode. (office does not want to purchase the 64 bit VPN and does not want to reconfigure the firewall) since it seems I'm the only guy who has the foresight to upgrade his laptop. Go figure!

I ran the Windows 7 Advisor on my old computer and it says that the Cisco program is not compatible with W7 in the 64 bit version but IS in the 32 bit version. Guess for the office use I'll have to stick with the old computer. Do you suppose that I could run through the VPN using the 32 bit version of IE8 that comes on the system?

Good thing I ordered the new one from Costco...90 return no questions asked!

Reaction score
One further thought... can I just have the old VPN 32 bit (Cicso Client) App application loaded onto the new computer and it would work...but (natively) in a 32 bit capacity....while everything else runs in 64 bit?

Reaction score
Are you absolutely positive the 32-Bit client will not work?

If the software is old it may not be compatible with Windows 7 fully. Have you tried using a compatibility mode for Vista or XP? May not help but worth a shot. Wouldn't you be proud if you could prove your IT guy wrong?

Here is an article on the topic - https://www.w7forums.com/application-compatibility-mode-t314.html

I would suggest "XP Mode" but unfortunately it only comes with Windows Professional and greater.

I wish I could help further but I am really not experienced here. I am only throwing out ideas, hoping to be of some help.

Reaction score
You've been a lot of help, actually, Clifford.

Jury's still out on what to do...but am convinced of one thing...Windows 7 (64 bit) may not "be ready for prime time" yet!

May just keep the old laptop to communicate with the office and the new one for everything else. Silly as that may sound!

Happy holidays.... and thanx for your input.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Trader Dick, welcome to Windows 7 Forums! We all look forward to you being here with us. Don't worry, a lot of companies are penny pinching right now, as you probably know. As time goes on, more and more companies and private users are switching to 64 bit. In fact, not all, but most of the PC's and laptops on the market are 64 bit. In the near future, there will be no more 32 bit systems on the market, although it is hard to say exactly when. But most likely, the next OS that Microsoft releases will not have a 32 bit option. So rest assured, you're in good company with your 64 bit system. In two to three years, you'll be glad you didn't buy a 32 bit system. Enjoy your stay with us, Trader Dick. We're glad you're here, if you need help, let us know.

Ask a Question