I am running on a 64 bit OS (windows7),but my RAM is 2GB,is this okay?

Reaction score
hello sir,
i have bought a new system recently,
installed a 64 bit genuine windows 7 Home Premium os,but my ram is 2 gb..is this okay?
or do i need to upgrade to 4gb immediately?
please help me in this context...
thank you -sai

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You'll be fine with 2GB of RAM with Windows 7 x64.

That's the minimum MS recommends for the x64 OS.

Sometime later on you can add another 2GB of RAM and the system will be a little quicker and more responsive. Most who run the x64 version have 4GB of RAM but it's not a necessity.

Reaction score
Thanks buddy...
but it is said everywhere that it is a must to have a 4GB instead 2GB ram for 64 bit systems,how far it is true?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks buddy...
but it is said everywhere that it is a must to have a 4GB instead 2GB ram for 64 bit systems,how far it is true?
You can run x64 with 2GB RAM no problem, here are the official minimum requirements:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx

What you may have read was that if you wish to use 4GB of ram, then you'll need to use Windows 7 x64, as the 32 bit version can't utilise that amount. However, it doesn't mean that you can't use 2GB+. :)

Reaction score
Hi sai - Welcome to w7forums

Check my computer information to the left. You will see I have 2GB with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed. :)

Reaction score
Hello sai.2905,

Please check out the requirements here for Windows 7:
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it requires:
•1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
•1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
•16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
•DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
You can find the official Microsoft Windows Upgrade Advisor here:
http://tinyurl.com/no4xb7

Thanks again and good luck!
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
sai.2905, welcome to the forum! When I purchased my desktop in November, it was shipped with 2GB RAM. It ran fine, no BSOD's or any other problems. I upgraded mine because I watch a lot of videos, and I wanted them to load faster, which worked. What you may have read is that 4GB RAM is considered by many to be the "sweet spot", meaning not too much, not too little. For most home users, anything over 4GB is a waste. 2GB will run fine for many applications. I don't know how much you need for hard core gaming, as I don't care for gaming. Hopefully this post and the ones above will be of help to you. Should you have any more questions concerning this or any other issue, always feel free to post.

Ask a Question