Running 32b applications into W7 64 bits

Reaction score
Okey, I know this a long discussed subject but I still need solutions to my problem, I can not simply install an 32b windows on my new laptop, I won´t do that. So... here is my problem, I have an application (called PCPDFWIN, is a database of X-ray difractgrams, just physics stuff). Just because I know is an old and is an 32bits app then I have installed it into the folder "program files(x86)" just in the way I saw in internet and forums. Nevertheless, it doesn´t work. If I try to run it then usual and annoying display reads.
"The version of this archive is not compatible with the version of Windows running. Check the information of the system of the equipment for check if you need an x86 (32 bits)..."
blah blah. So I do not what to do, if have to move the .dll to another folder, if it is a problem of some driver or what. And no, I do not have money to buy the latest version of pcdfwin and I do not even sure of if this last version have solved such a problem.
If anyone is willing to help, I am all ears!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? That might help.
What version of Windows do you have? Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate?

By the way, Welcome to the forums!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
donfisico, welcome to the forum! Do you have 7 Pro (or above)? If so, you can run your app in XP Mode, through Windows Virtual PC. It's a pre-activated copy of XP Pro SP3 that runs many older apps (software & hardware). In fact, it's Microsoft's answer for the issues like you are having.

If you don't have Pro, you can get it through the Windows Anytime Upgrade in the Start Menu. None of your files are disturbed, except you'll unlock the features you already have built in to every version of Windows 7. One important note, the 100MB partition that ships with new computers has to be there.

Another alternative, and a free one, would be VirtualBox by Oracle. All you need is a copy of XP or Win 2K (along with COA or serial #).

Hopefully, this post is of some help to you, and should you need further assistance, always feel free to post back.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Hi all..
I am new to windows 7. I was using XP before this. Now using Genuine Windows 7 professional. Whenever i try to install and run some application, i am facing compatibility issue. I know that its because of running 32bit application in 64bit OS. Should i need to download 64bit every time or is it possible to run 32bit app in 64bit OS?

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for all the replies, I will answer each one in order of appearing.

First, Fire cat: Yes, I have tried to run it in compability mode and the same annoying display appears. My version of Windows is Home Basic, regreatly (it is not my fault, the laptop came with this one). Thanks for the wellcome.

Castilley1092: Since I just said, I have W7 Home Basic version, so I can not acces to the pretty things avaible in the Pro versions and above. I do no have money to Upgrade my window with anytime upgrade so that solution is discarded.
Virtual Box? Sounds a good option, but a complicated one. I mean: installing Virtual Box and then installing into it Windows XP just for running one program??? Are you sure there is not any other possible solution? I feel that the costs are much greater than the benefits. I really asking if there is not other workaround.

jk2005.jeeva: Just ask the pros, I am just a beginner.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Virtual Box? Sounds a good option, but a complicated one. I mean: installing Virtual Box and then installing into it Windows XP just for running one program??? Are you sure there is not any other possible solution? I feel that the costs are much greater than the benefits. I really asking if there is not other workaround.
Have a look at VMLite as well. That's another free Virtual XP.
http://www.vmlite.com/

Hi all..
I am new to windows 7. I was using XP before this. Now using Genuine Windows 7 professional. Whenever i try to install and run some application, i am facing compatibility issue. I know that its because of running 32bit application in 64bit OS. Should i need to download 64bit every time or is it possible to run 32bit app in 64bit OS?
Most 32bit apps you should work in 64bit Windows. Though, it is still best to check if there is a 64bit version of that software, and instal it if existant.
As you have Windows 7 Pro, you can also run 32bit apps in XP Mode. You can install XP Mode from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Have a look at VMLite as well. That's another free Virtual XP.
http://www.vmlite.com/

Most 32bit apps you should work in 64bit Windows. Though, it is still best to check if there is a 64bit version of that software, and instal it if existant.
As you have Windows 7 Pro, you can also run 32bit apps in XP Mode. You can install XP Mode from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
This is a good program, but there is no 64 bit version of the software, and there's no 64 bit XP Mode, either. However, if you don't have any install discs to use with Virtualbox, this is your best option. But remember one thing, no VM is perfect, and all programs/hardware doesn't work with it. It will take some time adapting to, and remember that you need to install an AV within the VM (MSE is free, and a excellent choice).

Best of Luck,
Cat

Ask a Question