SOLVED Repair of a Win 7 Upgrade Installation

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and would appreciate any help offered.

I want to do a repair of my Win 7 Pro SP1 install. When I tried the repair the first time, I got a message saying that the version on my PC was newer (because of the SP1 update) than the version I was upgrading with.

I initially used the Upgrade version of Win 7 Pro 64 bit and used Windows Update to get SP1 installed. I wanted to use an ISO file to load Win 7 onto a flash drive to simplify the process, & I found the "Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads" thread on this site and thought that this might do the trick.

I was going to download the 7 Pro SP1 64 bit iso, but it occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to use it because I used the Upgrade version of Win 7 and the Key that I have wouldn't work with the ISO which I assume is the full clean version not the Upgrade.

Is this the case? If it is, is there an ISO for Windows 7 Professional Upgrade that has SP1 included?

I'm starting to suspect that I'll have to uninstall SP1 and then do the repair with the disk that I originally installed with.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your upgrade key will work as long as you use the appropriate level, Professional key with Professional edition, Ultimate with Ultimate, etc.

And one more caveat if you are doing a complete reinstall with an upgrade key. If you completely format your harddrive before reinstalling then you will likely have to do what is termed a "double install"; basically you run through the install program without activation once and then you run through the install routine a second time and this time activate.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response TM...

I already got it successfully done by deleting the SP1 file and using my disk. I will load the ISO onto a flash drive though so that if I have to do this again I won't have to go through the hassle of deleting the SP1 file and then reinstalling it again via the Update process... It took hours... So I got to watch Fringe - Sad to say goodbye to Walter.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question