Tip: Repair Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 with "too old" recovery DVD

Reaction score
Probably some of you once tried to repair Windows 7 with installed service pack 1 because of boot problems. Personally I had a "BOOTMGR is missing" error (after removing an additional Win 7 partition).
So, I inserted my Windows 7-DVD, booted normally from it and tried to open the system recovery options. As you might guess, I was prompted with the following message: "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."
Basically, MS wants to tell you, that your DVD hasn't got SP1 integrated, and therefore is too old. I then did some research on the internet and the workaround seemed to be to download Win 7 with integrated SP 1 from Microsoft (with licence key). Now that's kind of annoying.

I found a much more simple solution by accident:
If you boot from the Windows-recovery-DVD you will be asked whether you want to boot "normally", perform a memory test or get extra options by pressing F8. I then pressed F8, because I am a curious child. I was - and you will be - offered a list of different safe boot modes and once again "boot normally". I just booted normally. And that did the trick. If you open the system recovery options now, you will be able to flawlessly use them. No stupid pop-up error.
So, just don't boot immediately "normally", but take the bypass by pressing F8.

I hope this will help some of you guys.

(I hope there are not too many errors in my text -> non-native.)

Ask a Question