Windows 7 broken and startup repair not working

Reaction score
I was messing around with Ubuntu, and after installing it, immediately realized I didn't want it. Oops. After clearing the Partition and repairing the MBR to boot into Windows instead of the Ubuntu launcher, I attempted to reclaim the partition. However, Windows hard disc manager wouldn't allow me to reclaim the partition. So, I, wanting my 40 gigabytes back badly, downloaded Partition wizard and extended the partitions. Unfortunately, upon starting up the computer once Partition Wizard had finished, Windows appeared badly damaged and refused to start. When it did, it was missing many dll's and tray icons and was both unable to connect to the internet and unable to open any browser. Firefox made the windows desktop reboot, and internet explorer never booted. I attempted to load the backed up config registry as this article shows, but that didn't help much, although Windows seemed to get farther in the booting process as it didn't crash as quickly. I need to know if there's a way to fix the installation without a clean install. Let me know if you need more information

Reaction score
Update:

I am currently downloading an ISO of windows 7 to be used to run the Repair Install process. Is it possible to get the iso running of a flash drive using rufus or do I need a DVD? Either is fine, but I'd rather use a flash drive as my DVD's aren't rewriteable.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should be able to use the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool to create a bootable flash drive from the ISO you download. You will need a 4GB or larger flash drive and it will be formatted so, all data on it will be overwritten.

Reaction score
You should be able to use the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool to create a bootable flash drive from the ISO you download. You will need a 4GB or larger flash drive and it will be formatted so, all data on it will be overwritten.
Thanks for the information, but interestingly enough, I actually ran into this problem while searching for the ISO I needed (as the one I got was corrupt)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The complaint that the "usb/dvd download tool" says an ISO is invalid is quite common and honestly I'm not sure that that the ISO is always the problem. Obviously, it is important to get the complete ISO and for that you might want to use a download manager so it can be resumed if it doesn't finish

But I would also make sure it isn't just an issue with this tool. Things to consider:
- Is your flash drive large enough? For a W7 Install the flash drive needs to be 4GB or larger.
- How is the flash drive formatted? I have not played with this so at this point it is strictly a hunch, but I know you can format a flash drive as NTSF or FAT or FAT32 and I wonder if maybe the tool only likes a specific formatting.

UPDATE: I saw another post where it was suggested to format the USB Flash drive as FAT32, so that may be a good first try.

Last edited:

Ask a Question