Related problems? Rclick stopsWExp,bt dll error, wireless dropped

Reaction score
3 problems temporarily related, but are they actually related? Bluetooth error, Windows Explorer shut down and dropped network connections

1 Suddenly the error message below began to appear whenever the computer starts:
"There was a problem starting C:\ program files\Motorola\Bluetooth\ btmshell.dll. The specified module could not be found.” I do not use a Bluetooth device unless it is involved with my network adapter or router. Device manager reveals an ethernet adapter, a miniport adapter and a Realtek RTL8188CE wireless LAN 802.11n Combo PCI_E NIC which refers to Bluetooth. This is one reason I think my problems may be related. I have not been able to prevent this error message from appearing on each boot.

2 Right click began to cause Windows Explorer to stop working. Not every time but enough to make working very difficult. I believe that removing items from the right-click menu made this go away several times. However, I am able to remove only a few of them by changing things in the registry.

The right-click - Windows Explorer shut down and Bluetooth error message behavior has occurred after several restorations of different Acronos TrueImage 13 images and even after at least one (maybe more) restorations of Acronos images which were created before either problem occurred. This must tell us something but I'm not sure what.

3 The W7 computer but not another running Vista sitting on the same desk will lose one of the 2 wireless network connections I have to my Cisco/Linksys WRT610N router. Most of the time simply connecting to the other network connection solves the problem temporarily although many times in the past several weeks I've had to reboot the router and modem.

I will appreciate any advice as to whether I have one 2 or 3 problems and any solution suggested.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First I always like people to rule out a virus or your anti-virus software issue. Please specify what anti-virus software you use and test your computer for a virus in safe mode as explained >>HERE<<.

Also supply the information about your computer/motherboard as explained near the top of that thread. And post any DMP files you may have, as explained in that thread.

Likely either the bluetooth/network driver(s) or their sleep settings are a problem. With the make/model of your computer or motherboard (if custom-built) we can point you to the most current driver. After the latest driver is installed I would advise going to control panel > Device Manager and finding the network adapter, power management tab and setting it to never sleep.

Reaction score
Prior to posting I ran several full scans using Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebytes. Also [FONT=&quot]Scannow several times as well as error checking of C:.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Incidentally I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking MPE 11 which is incompatible with recent Adobe Flash and PDF programs. Also User Account Control must be turned off. These have produced other problems in the past but not the ones I am presenting to you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At your suggestion [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I booted into safe mode and ran both rkil and tdsskiller and Malware. One root kit not previously discovered on my scans above was found and removed butI have lost the name of it. I do have W7 service pack 1 and updating is automatic.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The drivers in device manager are up to date except the Microsoft virtual Wi-Fi miniport adapter which gives a red warning that it is not recognized when I tried to update the driver. Before writing you I'd uninstalled and rebooted this without effect or change. Somewhere I read this warning should be ignored. Is that correct or should it be pursued?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The mini dump folder was empty. I followed your instructions explicitly and did it twice. I have never had the BSOD but I'm happy to learn of the procedures that you have instructed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Out of respect for the heat warning on the NIC I have not unchecked the save power (never sleep?) tic box on the power management tab of the network adapter since I have to carry my laptop in its case into the field. Do you still advise that I do this?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now that I have done as suggested the consistent Bluetooth error message still appears every time when I restart the computer. The other 2 problems were intermittent but have not yet recurred. In other words there is no definite change.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you, I am very much appreciate your efforts.[/FONT]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
gwatts said:
[FONT=&quot]Out of respect for the heat warning on the NIC I have not unchecked the save power (never sleep?) tic box on the power management tab of the network adapter since I have to carry my laptop in its case into the field. Do you still advise that I do this?
[/FONT]
If your driver is up-to-date then I can only assume the sleep/power down is causing your problems. I suggest you try disabling sleep for a couple days, as this is a common problem with computers that loose network connection; if it doesn't help you can change it back. BTW, what "heat warning" are you referring to?

gwatts said:
[FONT=&quot]Incidentally I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking MPE 11 which is incompatible with recent Adobe Flash and PDF programs. Also User Account Control must be turned off.
[/FONT]Rather than turning off UAC you might try right-clicking on the Dragon Naturally Speaking exes (programs), choose Properties, and under Compatibility check the box that says "run this program as an administrator". But the truth is by turning off UAC you are simply compromising some of your security, it isn't causing your wireless problems.

gwatts said:
[FONT=&quot]The drivers in device manager are up to date except the Microsoft virtual Wi-Fi miniport adapter which gives a red warning ...[/FONT]
You might try disabling the virtual wi-fi as explained HERE

Reaction score
This is what I thought you meant about disabling the sleep.
In device manager the power management tab has a tic box under "Realtek RT8188CE Wireless LAN 802.1n Combo-PCI-E NIC. The text states "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

"Warning: If this is a laptop computer and you run it using battery power allowing the network adapter to wake the computer could drain the battery more quickly it might also cause a laptop to become very hot if it wakes up while packed in a carrying case."
I don't understand how or why a computer would wake up in the carrying case.

This is my error:
The red warning occurs when I try to update the driver of the "Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi Miniport Adapter" not the driver of the NIC.

"Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software."

The red warning indicates 2 options.

"Don't install this driver software. You should check your manufacturer's website for updated driver software for your device."

"Install this driver software anyway. Only install driver software obtained from your manufacturer's website. Unsigned software from other sources may harm your computer or steal information."

"The software you’re attempting to install does not have a valid digital signature that verifies who published it." And this is Microsoft???

While dictating and arranging the various Windows in order to tell you precisely what the warnings said, I inadvertently hit something and the software was installed. Interestingly it took more than 1 min. to do so. So far everything is working fine so I guess this was a good accident.

I have disabled the sleep function as you suggested.

I have disabled the Miniport Adapter in device manager. However I do not understand the reference you gave me which suggests I should use the netsh command rather than the choices in Device Manager. If I'm reading it correctly the engineer indicates this should only be done through Device Manager. Yet the Miniport Adaptor is something that only developers use. If this is true how does it affect anything that I'm doing?

So far everything is working well. I have not yet changed the Dragon because I must use it this morning. I look forward to doing that.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is possible for a specific "signal" to be transmitted to a computers NIC to tell it to "wake up the computer" and a wide awake laptop in a bag could get quite hot but that has little to do with whether the NIC itself is allowed to sleep. They are two different things, you can tell it to not allow the NIC to sleep and also not to accept a "wake up" packet.

As for the virtual miniport driver, if it's installed now then you may as well leave it, it is not related to your "real" network connection. The commands in the link I gave were to shut down the virtual service to disable it, but like I said, just leave it now that it seems to be working.

As for the Dragon Naturally Speaking, it was just something you may want to try. Personally I've had UAC disabled since I installed W7 & I'm perfectly satisfied working that way but you have to be that much more aware of the threats from software you download; such as always scan downloads/attachments for viruses before you open them, etc.

Reaction score
Since instituting the change you suggested preventing the computer from turning off the NIC, the connection has dropped only twice.

While I have not been using Windows Explorer quite as much as usual, Windows Explorer has stopped only one time. This I can live with, before it was impossible to work. If it continues to be problematic I'll repost this as a single question.

The Bluetooth error message continues on every boot but that is not a problem and only requires one click to do away with it.

Trainableman I very much appreciate your efforts and you have taught me some interesting things. I will mark this question as closed though I may come back later if I continue to have problems. Thank you again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'll be honest, that doesn't sound solved to me.

On newer laptops the bluetooth & wi-fi are part of the same internal component board which is why I think your Realtek RTL8188CE wireless LAN 802.11n Combo PCI_E NIC mentions bluetooth too. I would like to get you to uninstall the bluetooth drivers and then see if reinstalling them recreates C:\ program files\Motorola\Bluetooth\ btmshell.dll, which is apparently missing.

Reaction score
Unfortunately you are right, no joy

I have uninstalled the NIC twice without effect. "Windows has determined that your driver is up to date."
They are:
C:\Windows\system 32\drivers\RTL 8192 CE.SYS
C:\Windows\system 32\drivers\vwifibus.sys

The error message is present on every boot.

The right click Windows Explorer shutdown still occurrs but less than before whatever that means. The right click menu has repopulated itself yet I still think the number of choices has something to do with the shutdown problem.

I've been working pretty much all day on the computer and have lost the connection inappropriately only 3 times which is significantly less than before.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, that isn't a .SYS driver file you are getting an error about; C:\ program files\Motorola\Bluetooth\ btmshell.dll would be an installed program you find in control panel>Programs and Features. Look for something in Programs and Features that mentions bluetooth and see if it has a Repair option. Otherwise it will need uninstalled.

Reaction score
I cannot find any BT, Motorola or the btmshell on search or by drilldown. in C:.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the point of the error message is that btmshell.dll is not there, as for the rest of the folder, can you see C:\Program Files ? I can't remember but Program Files may be hidden by default for added security, in which case you would need to enable viewing of system files & folders if you want to see it.

What I would really like you to look for is something "Motorola" or "Bluetooth" listed in your installed "Programs and Features", which you would find under the Control Panel items.

Reaction score
Sorry I did not make that more clear. I could find no Bluetooth, no Motorola and no btmshell.dll on search of the computer or drill down into program files, program files (x86), program data or a visual search of programs and features in control panel.

There are in Programs and Features some entries that do not indicate any publisher or program. There was an entry for Realtek Wireless LAN driver. It was installed in 2011.
I uninstalled this but it did not reinstall so I restored the computer to yesterday in order to get back on the Internet. During the uninstallation it said this was a Cisco module.

Also of interest the NIC power management tic box "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" had become re- enabled by itself before the restoration.

While the dropping of the wireless is less than before, it is still a problem.

The Bluetooth message is not a problem unless you think it is related to the wireless problem. All I have to do is close the message after booting.

The problem of Windows Explorer shutting down on a right-click is still a problem. I am guessing you think that not related?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think something is corrupt in your system. Maybe your hard drive is going bad; but more likely your registry has become damaged. It seems like something was screwed up because the bluetooth was deleted or uninstalled.

Personally at this point I think you best option would be to back-up all your data, gather all your program disks and product keys, format the hard drive and reinstall W7. Then install all your programs and restore your data.

So many things just seem missing or acting strange, I just think your best option is to start fresh.

Reaction score
Thank you. I have some images. I'll leave this ? open unless you want to close it, and report back after.

Ask a Question