SOLVED Recovery problem

Reaction score
My acer aspire E5-722-89MU got a virus I formatted the hard drive then put my recovery disk
in to load the OS but it would not load I got the message corrupt file system. I have an OEM copy but I need
the driver files only on the recovery disk. Acer will supply a copy at £51.06 this is a rip off. does anyone know
how to get a copy free gratis. thanks

Reaction score
I have since found the tech support staff have misled me. I was always under the the thinking OEM software when first used
on a system by the manufacturer it remained the norm for that machine. I was told by Acer techs because my version is OEM version it would not load the operating drivers needed. so I would need their copy to run all drivers. On the down load site drivers were available for download . the required drivers were not. so now I am looking for a compatable Acer windows 8.1 version I will not pay the £50+ they want when other versions are free from microsoft recognised sites. I hate being ripped off by greedy companies. I had enougth of that before I retired. I used to give freebies so I expect one in return.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
just a note there is a windows 8 forum, this is for win 7. but anyway ...

If you are referring to the preinstalled OEM OS that came with the machine then it is normally the new owners responsibility to burn OEM DVD(s) on first boot (or at least within the first 30 days) and since most people don't bother they are happy to sell you a copy when you do decide you need them, thus the 50 pounds. It does sound like you did create these recovery disks but unfortunately, based on what you said, they are corrupt.

You either need the real win 8 OS (such as Win8 DVD) or buy the Acer OEM version. Note, with the standard Win8 OS you may also need to download drivers from Acer for your particular model (usually just enough to get the internet connected).

I know it is frustrating.

Last edited:
Reaction score
just a note there is a windows 8 forum, this is for win 7. but anyway ...

If you are referring to the preinstalled OEM OS that came with the machine then it is normally the new owners responsibility to burn OEM DVD(s) on first boot (or at least within the first 30 days) and since most people don't bother they are happy to sell you a copy when you do decide you need them, thus the 50 pounds. It does sound like you did create these recovery disks but unfortunately, based on what you said, they are corrupt.

You either need the real win 8 OS (such as Win8 DVD) or buy the Acer OEM version. Note, with the standard Win8 OS you may also need to download drivers from Acer for your particular model (usually just enough to get the internet connected).

I know it is frustrating.
I thanks for the reply I only posted here because I am runing win 7 on this laptop. However I feel let down by the lack of help afforded by the Acer Tech's I have solved the problem how I do not know. but my frustrtion is now over.
I reformated my hard drive again and then clean installed th OS then the drivers unti I icame to the network adator
driver because I had an earlier version of QCA 3977 I loaded that. Bingo it worked. I do think a technician would have suggested some route to getting a driver needed istead of saying nothing will work unless you buy our recovery disk. THank you for your suggestion about Win8 DVD that would be my next option.

Ask a Question