Problems with Paragon Backup and Recovery

Reaction score
Paragon Backup and Recovery™ , version 10.0, build 9169 (01.12.09 ) Compact Edition
I downloaded during a free license promotion. After installing and activating several days ago, I did not use immediately.

Today I decided to check the program out. After loading I started creating the recovery media. Something happened and the progress bar stopped at 2%. A few minutes later the drive spun down with the progress bar still at 2%. This left me with the option to cancel the operation. I also noticed the application was not responding to any of my request. No matter how many times I tried to kill the processes there was one that would not die. Time for a reboot. Attempt number 2 at creating a recovery media was a success.

Now time to create the backup image. Starting the "Smart Backup" was pretty easy. I was clicking through all the links without really reading everything. Next thing I knew I was back at the main window without the image being saved. What, where is my backup? Why did I not see a progress bar for the Backup? I started the "Smart Backup" again this time reading closely. It appears this "Smart Backup" only makes changes to the settings. Once finished and you are at the main window, you are to click the Apply button.

OK - Now that I know this, I click the Apply button and start the process. Somewhere around 75% I was prompted to save. OK - great it done, so I click save. What there is the prompt again. OK, so I click save again. This left me with the option to cancel the save resulting in a canceled backup operation.

I'm not sure about the rest of you but after two errors on the first day, I am skeptical to even use the application from fear that I will see errors when I try restoring my image if I ever did get one created.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Paragon has sent me freebies for over a year, that's why they are free. I never have liked their apps, and probably never will.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That has explained something to me. I was reading the threads on Paragon, and its free offer, on this site and others. I had previously dowloaded it from "Giveaway.." and backed it up in my software list. Subsequently I erased ir. I could not figure why, so I did not post on the comments.. Cliff's post has triggered my ailing Dbase (Brain!). I had similar problems. I have a paid up Acronis, and was only academically interested in testing Paragon, to pass on to others.. Thanks for the heads up.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have used Paragon software for years now and i can say I have never had a problem, and booting from the rescue disk has replaced more than one damaged OS for me. I moved from Acronis True Image to Paragon because I found it better (my opinion).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I haven't had good luck with Paragon software, either. They sent me all sorts of emails describing their products, I tried a few, and didn't like them. So I had to unsubscribe from their mailings.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you don't need to schedule your backups, then give the free version of Acronis a go. If you have a Seagate, Maxtor or Western Digital drive then there are their own versions available (the Seagate one is called Discwizard).

I bought the Home verison of Acronis to backup my PC and it works great on a schedule with incremental backups :).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I'll have to check into the free Acronis deal.:)

Reaction score
backup software

I'm not sure about the rest of you but after two errors on the first day, I am skeptical to even use the application from fear that I will see errors when I try restoring my image if I ever did get one created.
I have used several backup programs for years: Paragon, Acronis and others.
I use and recommend ****** *******, it's easy and reliable backup software (compatible with Window 7), and works great...

<url removed>http://www.handybackup.net

Last edited by a moderator:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
We are using Paragon free on 5 computers in our house and have installed it on many customers computers (and run through the backup and recovery with them) no reports of any problems yet, and we have had none at home, using version 10.2 now with no problems ... so :dontknow:

Ask a Question