Realtek onboard LAN doesn't work above 10 Mbps

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I really need to say it - THANKS Novaraz!

Had the same speed limit problem on a machine with Realtek LAN but on Linux distro (Openmediavault, based on Debian). One day it dropped from 1Gbps to 100Mbps, and after a couple of days down to 10Mbps. I've spent countless hours on forums, then updating drivers and system, changing cables, followed by the endless restarts of both my machine and the router.

Desperate in the end, I came across this topic and laughed a bit when I reached Novaraz response. Then I saw the responses saying it worked and denial phase came - it couldn't be that easy, could it? But having no options - I did pull the plug... Oh, the crazy laughter that my neighbors must have heard once I connected back the power supply and saw the adapter speed got back to 1Gbps...

Anyway... if by any chance you're wasting your time reading this - just do what Novaraz said and don't forget to say 'thanks' afterward :)

Reaction score
HOLY COW!!!! I can't believe a 12 year old post actually solved my issue!!! We had a lightning strike yesterday that killed my ONT for the fiber connection, and also killed all the ethernet ports on my TP-Link C5400 router, during all the troubleshooting noticed that my onboard LAN was acting wonky and only connecting at 10Mbps. Tried all the normal stuff then went searching, found this post and figured what the heck, turning my machine off for 15min isn't gonna hurt and sound pretty easy..... To my surprise and absolute delight this resolved the issue! Thank you so much to the OP that mentioned this!!!!

Reaction score
possible solution

Hey guys, I know this sounds weird, but have you tried disconnecting the power for a few minutes? I was having the same connection problem (previously 1Gbps, now only 10Mbps, and zero connection in Ubuntu 10.10). I read on another forum to unplug the comp for 3 minutes. Now everything works fine. YMMV of course.
Legend.......ary!!!!! can't believe this worked but it absolutely did!

Ask a Question