Random shutoff, BSOD, etc.

Reaction score
Need help - getting random shutoffs and BSOD's for about a week now, 2 or 3 a day when the PC is under load. Tell me what you need and I'll supply it. Usually don't rely on forums but I am really freaking out, because I dont have the money to fix this.

0x0000003b is the stop code or whatever, memory.dmp is coming shortly - any ideas, though?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off you haven't installed Service Pack 1 from Windows Update - so #1 that needs done.
Second you should set for "small" memory DMPS, yours is huge. See the How to get BSOD Help thread and follow the link to Ian's tutorial for enabling small memory DMPs. Also see the other advice about including information about your computer and/or motherboard, running a virus scan in safe mode, and updating your drivers.

Once you are on service pack 1 and get a small memory DMP then zip and post it here.

Shintaro

Reaction score
+1

Additionally, as you are running Skyrim make sure that your Nvidia Drivers are up to date.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Freaks me out that you know I was playing skyrim. Lols.

Anyway, I have it set to the small dump, and I'll install SP1 now - sorry about the hugeness, never really had to deal with this before.

Additionally, what would cause the computer to literally shut itself off completely, no screne or anything, just as if the plug had been pulled ? That seems to be as bad as the stop screens, and they both started at exactly the same time.

Reaction score
Yeah, literally as I was typign the above reply, the computer shutoff completely cold like I'd cut the power. That is the biggest issue.

Reaction score
Holy crap - Temperature! I had a hunch, the temp is through the ROOF on Temp1 on speedfan - it got to 117C before it cut off - maybe temp is doing it??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make/model?

Laptop could be bad battery. Desktop, maybe PSU is too weak. Could be a short in the power switch. Overheating, where computer automatically stops to protect itself.

Check Control Panel > Administrative Tools, select Event Viewer. Wait for Summary of Administrative Events to load, then expand +Errors. See if that's any help.

Reaction score
Its custom built, one of the year-or-so old AMD quad cores with 2 hidden cores. No overclocking.

GTX650TI "Boost", the way I got it from newegg.

4GB of Corsair ram (1x4), 9 9 9 24 timing(wierd timing if you ask me, but what're ya gonna do)

FoxConn motherboard

15 year old giantgantic case.

All fans are stock and running (Theres only 2, CPU and GPU fan). They're running well. Temp1 pints to ACPI, dont even know what that is.

Only thing I find in event viewer is the BSOD's (Which are getting less frequent, to the point of none today), and "The computer shutdown unexpectedly, etc) and the cold shutdowns are getting much more frequent ( had around 10 today) This is driving me batty!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What size PSU (power supply)?

ACPI is Advanced Configuration & Power Interface. It's what lets your computer or components sleep/hibernate.

Reaction score
Well...I myself am convinced that the random shutdowns have something to do with temperature. The last 4 times its happened, I've been staring at speedfan, and Temp 1 is unfailingly between 114-117, last one was at 114 but the others were @116-117...Celcius, that is - Sadly, I think I could use my computer to boil noodles. Funny thing is, Core1, GPU, etc etc is all showing fairly normal temps, I mean 50-60C at load, which isn't that bad IMO, at least shouldn't cause it to cut off...but the Temp1 ACPI worries me.

Reaction score
Its a 630W Rosewill. Sorry im posting so much, I swear Im not trying to postwh*re, just kinda freaking out, use this thing for recording music, doing research, alot of gaming admittedly, but its enough to drive me up the proverbial wall

Reaction score
And it ran fine for better than a year, then it started this for a while, stopped on its own, was fine for a month or so, and started again about a week/week and a half ago.

Ask a Question