Random freezing W7U

Reaction score
I am currently running W7U an experiencing random freezes while using the laptop. I picked it up as a refurb from Newegg <1.5 years ago and bought the extra 2 years of warranty, but going without for a few weeks would be less than idea.

It first started freezing when I'd let it idle for a few hours while I slept. CoreTemp RC1 reported that the CPU was 120F and 0.8 GHz, so it didn't seem to be an issue there. Recently, it has begun freezing during normal use (web browsing, SolidWorks, etc.) and this is becoming quite problematic. I booted into safe mode + networking to do some research while trouble shooting and it froze again, in safe mode. Some times, it even hangs at the "Welcome" screen after I log in. When it does freeze (usually a few times per day), I have the ability to move the mouse, but it's just the spinning ring and I can't click. I'm posting from an older desktop as I run a W7 upgrade (not full reinstall) from my university provided W7U disc. It always seems to freeze with the hdd status litght lit, as well.

I have run 2 windows memtests plus multiple chkdsk C:, chkdsk /f C:, chkdsk /r C:, all coming back clean.

As for the computer, it's a Samsung 7 Series (NP700Z5B-S01UB).
i7-2675QM
8 GB RAM (4 on the board, 4 in the only DIMM slot)
Radeon 6490M 512 MB
1 TB hdd
Microsoft Security Essentials (it was this or Symmantec to pass Univ. checks. I needed access to a SolidWorks PDM Server and AVG wasn't considered acceptable)

Is there anything else I can provide to help get to the bottom of this sooner?

TYIA!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Reaction score
Sorry about leaving out the version. It's 64bit W7U. (I thought ultimate only came in 64) I have re-downloaded all drivers today through Samsung's Software Update software which allows you to select the model, then lists all applicable drivers and stock bloatware. I made an image onto my tower just as a slick backup point. It doesn't exclusively crash in the browser (chrome), but it has before.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For Chrome you delete your cache and cookies as described HERE.

The only other thing I would mention is that viruses can cause slow-downs and crashes. The most effective virus scan I know is a three prong attack. Download TDSSKiller and RKill from our Freeware DB. And make sure your MSE is up-to-date. Then reboot your system into safe mode without networking (Reboot and, when it says "Starting Windows," Press F8; If you get a message asking continue in safe mode or perform a system restore, choose continue in safe mode). Now run TDSSKiller and after that run RKill and after that run a full virus scan. The first two will take maybe 5 minutes each but a full virus scan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours depending on your hard drive size and number of files, so you may want to start this and let it run overnight.

Booting in safe mode makes sure only minimal services/programs are started. TDSSKiller is designed specifically to look for rootkits. RKill is designed to stop the stealthing programs that hide/protect/regenerate some nasty viruses. Running these first will help ensure your A/V has the absolute best chance of cleaning up infected files.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Unless I suspect malware activity, I always am concerned with heat - especially in notebooks as they are difficult, at best, to keep clean of heat-trapping dust and dirt. I recommend removing all covers, access panels, drives, batteries, etc. to expose as much of the innards as possible to clean the interior of all the dust sucked in by the fan. You might try using a can of compressed dusting gas (outdoors).

CoreTemp RC1 reported that the CPU was 120F and 0.8 GHz, so it didn't seem to be an issue there.
Note computer temps are typically expressed in centigrade. 120°F = 48.9°C and anything under 60°C is just fine. But .8GHz? Your CPU should not toggle down that slow, especially since it is not running hot. You sure of the speed?

BTW, if you run chkdsk /? you will see that chkdsk /r "implies" (includes) the same checks as /f. So performing a /f and /r is a waste of effort and of time (though it was good no problems were found).

Ask a Question