New laptop with random freezing issue

Reaction score
I just got my laptop at the end of aug and within 2 weeks I started having random "lockups" that will sometimes just effect one program or just start with one then cascade till the entire system is frozen these will last for up to several mins then everything will correct its self. on very rare occasions I have had to restart to get it working again. anyway I knew what i was doing with xp but this 7 thing is a mystery to me and I don't think a new computer should be doing this. I tried some of the suggestions from other threads I read switched my power management to high performance and it was freezing up before i even installed my anti virus so I thought I would start a new thread. I have also attached a system info file since it was asked for in someone else's thread I thought it might be helpful

Attachments

Reaction score
Does your laptop seem hotter than usual/normal to you? Do you use a chill pad for the laptop? If not I suggest using one. Being relatively new, have you cleaned out the intake/exhaust vents of laptop with a can of air? I recommend cleaning laptops out at least on a bi-weekly basis if not weekly. Do you use any kind of utility manager for regular cleaning of you PC? If not get one, I use TuneUp Utilities 2010 and it works well. Then check your system for any adware, malware and/or spyware that may be lurking on your system.

Reaction score
Uninstall Webroot in safe mode using the tool found here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/78961-av-uninstallers.html

Reboot and install MSE.

-------

Update the Synaptics touchpad driver from manufacturer's site.

--------

Type msconfig in the start menu then press enter. Go to startup tab and check the box to disable all. Reboot and see how it goes. If good, you can re-enable things one by one while rebooting to after, to try and see which becomes the culprit.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
just got my laptop at the end of aug and within 2 weeks I started having random "lockups"
Then you have one, and only one option - take it back! Sadly, you should have done that before the first 30 days passed. So now your only recourse is to call warranty support. Do not do something that will void your warranty.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Digerati offers sound advice.
Is Dragonspirit and, possibly, it's interaction on the web, the culprit??
Is that something you have installed since purchase of the laptop?
If it is starting up (in Msconfig) with the OS, disable it and see if you have any improvement.

Ask a Question