SOLVED Problem with Windows 7 files/folders permission

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a very annoying problem with Windows 7 files and folders permission.

My computer hard drive consists of 2 partitions: partition C for OS installation (which was previously Vista and now Windows 7) and partition D for my data. After installing Windows 7, I couldn't access partition D any more. I then add a permission for me with the full control option. After that, I could see the contents of the partition. But I couldnt do anything such as renaming or deleting any file and folder easily. If I wanted to do something, I had to right-clicked it and do the same thing as I had done earlier with the partition. And this was really annoying. I couldn't even play a music file without doing so.

Is there any way to solve my problem? Any answer would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, with the help from a good friend I have solved the problem. I post the solution here for people who are also getting trouble with it. For example, I can't access the data partition D.

solution:
- download and run the "Take Ownership" program (it is a registry file). You can use google to find it.
- invoke the cmd command line, run it under the administrator right.
- type in:
takeown /f D:\
icacls D:\*.* /grant uid:F
(uid is the username to which we want to grant the permission).

Now you should regain the full control permission over your own files and folders.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think you have possibly misunderstood the purpose of the "take ownership" reg file. I wrote it in the early Vista Beta days, to save me a lot of work. I cannot take credit for it, as it was duplicated by many others about the same time.
But it is a "stand alone" file. You merely have to invoke it from a run command or in the start. There is no requirement to open a command prompt.
What you have described, is the manual way to take ownership, not the use of the reg file.
For members, I have attached the original. It is zipped with the "take ownership" and the undo file. Just unzip it and run it. It will invoke a right click option for any folder or file in the drop down menu "Take ownership"

Last edited:

Ask a Question