Power adapter problems plz help..

Reaction score
Hello everybody...

This is some-what a simple question... I have a hp550 laptop and the power adapter just died :( (it's 18.5v) . And i was wondering if i could replace it with a 20v one, without destroying my laptop, and if it would destroy it could i just attach a resistor to it (don't know how many ohm's it should be)

Thanks in advance: LeHaM :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello everybody...

This is some-what a simple question... I have a hp550 laptop and the power adapter just died :( (it's 18.5v) . And i was wondering if i could replace it with a 20v one, without destroying my laptop, and if it would destroy it could i just attach a resistor to it (don't know how many ohm's it should be)

Thanks in advance: LeHaM :)
NO, No, No, No, No... a thousand times no! Don't even think it.

You MUST replace it with a power supply adapter specifically designed for your notebook computer. This is due to voltage and amperage requirements.

Here in the States we have a national chain of store called: BATTERIES PLUS, they sell replacement batteries and power supply adapters for all kinds and brands of electronics. Perhaps down in the land of Oz y'all have one that's is similar. You might try eBay too!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thx i'll have a look on ebay, im'kinda poor LOL :) retail hp ones are tooo expensive.

Reaction score
Try battery world here in OZ they may also carry power supplies. Also Jaycar are pretty good for stuff like that.

Ask a Question