Unable to Receive WiFI on Desktop after Power Surge or Critical Windows Update or both.

Reaction score
HP Pavilion p6610f Desktop Win 7 Home OS 64bit

July 9th, I had been using my Ethernet cable instead of my wireless (out of concern for hacking) for a couple weeks and had to disconnect from wireless each time I turned on PC. After the power surge and black out (also Critical update), I noticed that I no longer had to disconnect, that I was just automatically connected to cable but wifi router still getting wireless. Soon realized I could not connect to wireless with my PC any longer.
No matter what I tried I could not get wireless connection on my PC again. Called Centurylink and went through all possible ways to connect but nothing worked. She said it was my PC.
I downloaded the Original Drivers for my OS and when I tried to install the Original Ralink Wireless Networking Controller Driver (for 802.11n Wireless LAN card) I got a message that said: “Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update” Update canceled (9996) So the original driver is called an update? And my system doesn’t meet the requirements?
I checked the Device Manager and under Network Adapters, the only thing listed is the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. Under Network and Sharing it only offers broadband where it used to offer Wireless and nothing I do will allow me to set up a new wireless connection. Also, my two front USB ports no longer work when I try to use them.

Not sure what to do, I thought I should do a backup and prepare for a Recovery and a reinstallation of the original OS as I thought perhaps the surge (though my computer has made it through those before with no problem) had destroyed something.

Can, it destroy the physical wireless device and if so the installation of new software will do no good?
Would installing a new harddrive help or is the wireless device on the motherboard? I do not know these things as I am still not quite tech savvy.

Reaction score
check in device manager for the wireless controller settings if not there reinstall the wi fi settings
check in services.msc that the wireless wlan auto config setting is started.
if all is lost a usb wi-fi dongle will get you connected

Ask a Question