Windows Shutdown option not working, instead showing power failure

Reaction score
Last week, My system got some virus and i overcame that by following some youtube videos. And it involves some registry editing. Now when I shut down the computer using "shutdown" option or "logout" option, screen interrupts suddenly(not showing Windows shutting down). And when I restart, it is showing the message "Windows did not shut down properly". But if I use, "restart" option, it is properly shutting down and restarting, which has no problem. What can I do?

Reaction score
Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Power troubleshooter may fix some issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter and it checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode.

Steps are as follows:

1. Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.

2. Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.

3. Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

I would recommend to check your PC in safe mode also.
1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.

2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking. (The Hot Key to Safe Mode depends upon your PC manufacturer)

Hope this helps in resolving the issue.

Ask a Question