Please help a confused geezer!

Reaction score
I have a "reconditioned" hp desktop with Windows 7 already installed.
Everything has worked fine except "backup" or "system image" Whenever
I attempt a backup it comes back with a failure notice and states that
"This operation cannot be done in Safe mode"
In "msconfig" window it shows normal start ~ ~ no indication of "safe mode" in corners of screen.
I don't know what to try next??? Any ideas greatly appreciated!!!

Reaction score
The key point is......reconditioned by whom?
1. If it is by a reputable shop, take it back so that the shop can address the issue.
2. If it is by a person with unknown qualification, you are left on your own device.
Never buy a " refurbished" computer unless it is refurbished by the computer manufacturer.

If #2 scenario is applicable, my most adamant suggestion is to re-install Windows 7. You never know what else that "person" had done in your desktop.
There are several ways to re-install Win 7.......
a. Contact HP manufacturer, ask for a set of Recovery disks. The cost is minimal and it is money well spent.
b. While you are talking to the HP rep, ask for a technician to show you how to access your recovery partition. Assuming your recovery partition had not been tampered with by that "person".
c. Download the win 7 iso that applies to your win 7 version, then burn it to a bootable DVD, then use the DVD to reinstall. I do hope you have the product key of that "reconditioned" desktop because you need it.

Digital Rivers - Windows 7 ISO download link...........
*** This site is completely legal ***
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

***** Make sure you select the ISO that applies to your version of Win 7 as well as your Win 7 version of "bit level" ( 32-bit or 64-bit).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
David, we have W7 links on this website. Please do not link to other websites if the information is available on ours. W7 SP1-U.

oldputernerd, it does sound like something is wrong with your installation if it thinks you are in safe mode but there is at least one other possibility that might prevent windows back-up from working: W7 Backup will not work on most (any?) hard drives 2TB or larger. So how big is your back-up HD? Personally I have found the Windows Back-up unreliable; when it works it works but I had many times when it failed to complete so I recommend you consider alternative back-up or cloning software. Depending on the brand hard drives you own you might be able to use a free copy of Acronis (Western Digital) or DiscWizard (Seagate) or consider Macrium reflect Free (Find links in our Freeware DB)

If you do decide to reinstall W7 then make sure you have your product key first; it may be on a sticker or on a card if you have the W7 box but if you don't have either of those then recover it from your current installation. The easiest way to do that is install SIW (Also listed in our Freeware DB) and run it, then go to Software > Licenses. (Be sure to get the Windows Product Key not the Windows Default Product Key). Then back up your data; consider using the built-in Windows Easy Transfer utility for that.

Reaction score
Thank y'all very much. The "reconditioner" is a reliable established company in the area. I will
first go back to them with the problem, or do a reinstall. (I do have the "Window Product Key"). I just discovered yesterday that my computer had been "infected" by a hacker and needed to be "cleaned"... (which I had done ~ via windows tech support). Perhaps that may have contributed to my "problem"..
I appreciate the help and advice.. Thank you!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I just discovered yesterday that my computer had been "infected" by a hacker and needed to be "cleaned"... (which I had done ~ via windows tech support). Perhaps that may have contributed to my "problem"..
I hope you don't mean that someone called you out of the blue and said they work for Microsoft and had detected a virus on your computer.

Reaction score
I would avoid using Windows backup and obtain a copy of EaseUS todo Backup Workstaton. Several years ago, I was able to receive this software free of charge by signing up for a credit card. To the best of my knowledge, the promo credit card deal no longer exists. I've had flawless results using it with both XP and Win7. You can obtain a free copy or purchase the fully functional product.

http://www.todo-backup.com/

http://www.todo-backup.com/business/workstation-backup.htm

Last edited:

Ask a Question