Help trying to access external hard drive.....please

Reaction score
Hi

Lenovo B51-80
Intel Core i5 6200U
4 GB ram
126GB SSD

I have a Seagate BUP Slimline 1TB external drive, all was working well, but I think I have pulled it out while it was "reading"

External drive shows in device manager and properties says its working properly

Nothing showing in Explorer or My Computer
Nothing showing in Disk Management

I have tried right clicking it within device manager to try and force it to disable/enable or update driver or uninstall and it just hangs indefinitely.

I have downloaded a couple of data recovery programs but they don't see the drive.

I have plugged the external into my sons desktop and it's not seen there either.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? or have I rendered it useless?

Any help would be much appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the drive was "reading" it should not be a problem. Writing is when data can be lost.

You say device manager says its working but nothing shows in Disk Management? Absolutely nothing? not even disk #1 ?

Download & while it is attached Run Seatools for windows to check it for problems.

Reaction score
Hey 3billy3,

I wanna ask you that have you checked other USB on the same port where you have inserted an External Drive?

Well, the problem shows that your hard drive becomes RAW due to which it is not displaying in the Disk Management. Now, you think of your valuable data. If you have a habit of taking a backup, then it’s good, else you have to go for a third party software which will easily recover your lost data. I know one software which is highly recommendable on various forums platform and its name is - Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery software (available at http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery-software.php) . This will unequivocally recover your valuable data from your RAW hard drive.

Reaction score
You can also try Kernel for Windows Data Recovery software to recover data from damaged or formatted Hard drive of Windows operating system. It is very effective software that helps you to get back lost or inaccessible data from Windows FAT and NTFS partitions.

Reaction score
If you want to access the data urgently then download linux like puppy linux (roughly 100mb) and write it to a cd or usb. then boot from the liveUSB or liveCD. Using it you can read/write your data just like in windows and it will also give you basic functionality like browsing internet, office, music etc.
You can install free recovery programes like Testdisk and Photorec

Puppy is a live os so it doesn't need installation or hard disk, you can just pop the cd in and run it. for saving files use a usb drive or save it on cloud.
It's completely safe, open source and free. You can download other linux distros like Ubuntu, mint but puppy is small and fulfils your need.

Last edited:

Ask a Question