Planet Side 2 (FPS first time playing)

Reaction score
I thought I would try something different from a RPG. Going into the game trying to get a grip on how to control the player, I did not find myself having fun. I was running around trying to find something to shoot and instead I was getting myself killed and never saw it coming. If that is common among FPS games, you guys can have them all. I want to be able to at least see whats killing me, even if I don't have a chance at fighting back.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I like the occasional FPS, but I've never gotten into the online multiplayer ones. They're too chaotic and I seem to always get killed without having any clue as to who killed me or how, so I never learn what to do differently next time. It seems way too random. I mostly play RPGs, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, and so forth, so maybe that's just an entirely different mindset that I come from. Frankly, usually if I play an FPS, I plow through it in god mode... I'll drop a 100 hours into an RPG, but with shooters I have too little patience.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like you've dived in at the deep end Clifford! With online games like that, you'll have very experienced players wiping out most new ones.

Have you tried a single player FPS a go before? Perhaps something like Half Life 2 - that's an excellent game and is pretty cheap to pick up now. You'll have a far better experience playing something like that :)

Reaction score
I like the occasional FPS, but I've never gotten into the online multiplayer ones. They're too chaotic and I seem to always get killed without having any clue as to who killed me or how, so I never learn what to do differently next time. It seems way too random. I mostly play RPGs, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, and so forth, so maybe that's just an entirely different mindset that I come from. Frankly, usually if I play an FPS, I plow through it in god mode... I'll drop a 100 hours into an RPG, but with shooters I have too little patience.
You and I may see them the same way.

Sounds like you've dived in at the deep end Clifford! With online games like that, you'll have very experienced players wiping out most new ones.
You are correct there, I did dive in at the deep end and severely underestimated just how bad it would be.
Have you tried a single player FPS a go before? Perhaps something like Half Life 2 - that's an excellent game and is pretty cheap to pick up now. You'll have a far better experience playing something like that :)
Have you played Half Life 2?

I caught a Steam giveaway and ended up with Half Life 2: Lost Coast & Half Life 2: Deathmatch. I've yet to play either one of them though. Planet Side 2 looked interesting so I give it a try. Sheeesh, was I in for a surprise. I think I will back track and try an older game on single player mode.

All-in-all Planet Side 2 was very interesting, I may eventually return but not today. :/ At least I already have a simple Username picked out. :D

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I caught a Steam giveaway and ended up with Half Life 2: Lost Coast & Half Life 2: Deathmatch. I've yet to play either one of them though.
Lost Coast isn't a game per se, it's an individual bonus level Valve developed from HL2 assets to showcase their then-new engine and HDR technology. Deathmatch is an online multiplayer. Neither of these are the actual Half-Life 2 game, but perhaps you got the game itself with these as part of the giveaway? At the very least they'll give you an idea as to what to expect from Half-Life 2 (aside from the story).

Reaction score
On MMO's/RPGs etc.

Hello~
Regarding MMO's/FPS etc.

My personal favorite is Dungeons and Dragons .

For me its got the "right mix" unlike WoW or Guildwars (which I have played both). You DON'T have to fight against other players.

Its almost totally Player Vs. environment. You Can if you choose go into arenas. As well as pay a monthly or yearly VIP membership OR you can do a "pay as you go" to get in game perks.

You can also form guilds and such. But you ARE NOT fighting against other players. And even if you do in the arenas .. you don't lose levels.

For those of you that know of D&D from Pen and paper game ,, you might like it .

I have been a member (VIP/free top play/ premium) for quite a few years, and me and my friend in Alabama play almost every other day.

It has its "bugs" but they are bearable and USUALLY (depending on the bug) fixed pretty quickly they do updates at least once a month to the main program and the game world itself. . The download is quite large(unfortunately) and is available on Steam and with Pando Downloader. You DON'T have to use either of the interfaces to play the game.

If any one happens to want to play I'm on Gahlanda server under the same name I have here, as well as another character that I use as a "mule" (low lever character for banking) which is not actively used unless i need to ;)

For anyone interested.. http://www.ddo.com in the upper right hand corner you can click you "nation" language of choice and then shortly down from that there will be a button to click that says " Ready to jump into the action?" Play for free now" and it will take you to the download page.

It really is a good game, or else i would not have been a member as long as I have been . (close to 4 years )

You can use mouse and keyboard controls and have a variety of the original classes and races from the original D&D world. I'm always willing to help out new players either on my main character or my "mule" character. if you choose to join, look me up on the game .

Reaction score
Lost Coast isn't a game per se, it's an individual bonus level Valve developed from HL2 assets to showcase their then-new engine and HDR technology.
I just found out it only takes an hour to go through Lost Coast. :( I can't fuss too much as it was a giveaway.

I don't have the original, just the two expansions. I'm surprised they don't require the original as a base to play, since they are expansions. Since Deathmatch is a mutliplayer version, I'd probably not be interested in that one.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you played Half Life 2?

I caught a Steam giveaway and ended up with Half Life 2: Lost Coast & Half Life 2: Deathmatch. I've yet to play either one of them though.
Yep, it's one of my all-time favourite games! :) In fact, it's one of only a handful of games that I've replayed as I liked it that much.

As Core has mentioned, it looks like you may only have the addon's for HL2. However, it looks like HL2 is on special offer on Steam today - it's well worth the few dollars :cool:.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Some of the sales they have on Steam today are pretty awesome. I really considered Max Payne 3 because I loved 2, but meh...I have so many games on my waiting list as is, I might just get it for the PS3 later (if it's out for the PS3).

I did spend almost $3 on Sim City 4 & Rush Hour, lol. Pangs of nostalgia and all that.

Ask a Question