BSOD 0x000000f4 Help. Minidump File Inside.

Reaction score
So usually when I start to play a game or something has to load, I keep getting the BSOD 0x000000f4 error. Sometimes it will happen every 10 minutes, sometimes it will go a week without showing up.

Here's the minidump from today. I downloaded my symbols and the windows debugger tool, but I'm not seeing exactly whats causing this. I've checked all my drivers and hardware and everything seems to be fine.

Its been happening for a few months now on and off and I really appreciate it if someone could help me out. If you need any more information, please just let me know.

Thank you very much in advance!

Attachments

Reaction score
Just crashed with the BSOD again, this time with:

STOP: 0X0000007A

Ntfs.sys

Here's the minidump, although it froze on the Collecting date for crash dump screen.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Please check out the BSOD help request instructions in this THREAD and confirm that you have completed the virus scan as indicated and provide some computer history.

You said two months but what changed 2 months ago - is that when you got this computer? when you upgraded to W7? installed new hardware?

In your DMPs I only see two drivers from 2011 and three from 2012. You need to update like everything! Go to the computer manufactures website and download the current drivers they have. start with video, audio, & network.

Reaction score
Please check out the BSOD help request instructions in this THREAD and confirm that you have completed the virus scan as indicated and provide some computer history.

You said two months but what changed 2 months ago - is that when you got this computer? when you upgraded to W7? installed new hardware?

In your DMPs I only see two drivers from 2011 and three from 2012. You need to update like everything! Go to the computer manufactures website and download the current drivers they have. start with video, audio, & network.
Got the computer about a year ago from IBUYPOWERPC, they built it based off what I picked online.

Nothing new was added 2 months ago, it just started happening when I tried playing newer games like Borderlands 2 and Darksiders.

I'm using the WinDbg to debug the dumps, but I'm not seeing what drivers are out of date. I thought I updated everything....where can I look to see in the dumps? Or should I just go to device manager?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
All I know is when I pull the DMP you uploaded it either has been truncated somehow or almost everything is old because when I sort the drivers in my list by date, like I said, I only see 5 in the list that are within 2 years.

It's possible the files I'm getting were edited or incomplete, because normally I at least see a red flag pointing to the kernal but your list has nothing flagged at all. I'm no expert; I've only been helping out in the BSODs area for about 3 weeks now but, I probably average two or 3 a day and this is the first time I ever saw one where nothing highlights in red when I open it with BlueScreenView.
BSV.jpg

Now I do see that your NVidia video is one of the more current ones 2Oct2012 (although some NVidia drivers came out 4 days ago so you still might check whatever you have is the latest), as is your HDMI audio 3Jul2012 (that would just be the audio used if you plug in an HDMI monitor though, not your speakers)

Oh and if it was built for you then MOBO make/model can be used to find drivers so maybe mention that in your next post.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

I would strongly suggest that you run chkdsk.

BugCheck 7A, {fffff6fc40009790, ffffffffc000000e, 6b182860, fffff880012f2c08}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)

Arguments:
Arg1: fffff6fc40009790, lock type that was held (value 1,2,3, or PTE address)
Arg2: ffffffffc000000e, error status (normally i/o status code)
Arg3: 000000006b182860, current process (virtual address for lock type 3, or PTE)
Arg4: fffff880012f2c08, virtual address that could not be in-paged (or PTE contents if arg1 is a PTE address)
DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

Reaction score
All I know is when I pull the DMP you uploaded it either has been truncated somehow or almost everything is old because when I sort the drivers in my list by date, like I said, I only see 5 in the list that are within 2 years.

It's possible the files I'm getting were edited or incomplete, because normally I at least see a red flag pointing to the kernal but your list has nothing flagged at all. I'm no expert; I've only been helping out in the BSODs area for about 3 weeks now but, I probably average two or 3 a day and this is the first time I ever saw one where nothing highlights in red when I open it with BlueScreenView.
View attachment 5062

Now I do see that your NVidia video is one of the more current ones 2Oct2012 (although some NVidia drivers came out 4 days ago so you still might check whatever you have is the latest), as is your HDMI audio 3Jul2012 (that would just be the audio used if you plug in an HDMI monitor though, not your speakers)

Oh and if it was built for you then MOBO make/model can be used to find drivers so maybe mention that in your next post.
I looked through all my drivers and updated them all as I was looking for other methods and made this thread. Should have everything up to date now.

Mate,

I would strongly suggest that you run chkdsk.
I've run chkdsk quite a few times so far, and just ran it again after updating all my drivers. Haven't had the BSOD yet, but I usually get a week or so in before it happens after I go through this process. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for the assistance!

Shintaro

Reaction score
Also I suggest that you run Driver Verifier.

(Borrowed from Zigzag3143 posts)
Driver verifier
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:

1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
  5. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  6. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  7. Select "Finish" on the next page.

• Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
  • Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
  • The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
It happened again :(

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
0x0000007a

This one says it was something with the ntsf.sys

Looking through the BlueScreenView, I see a lot of my drivers still haven't been updated.

Anyone know if trust worthy programs or some method to get these updated?

Attachments

Reaction score
I looked into it a little bit, and I think it might be:

atapi.sys
or
ntoskrnl.exe

being out of date.

Anyone know what steps I need to take next? Its almost 12:30am and I gotta head to bed soon. Any help would be appreciated!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
atapi is nothing to worry about, it's for CD-Roms and is part of the windows OS.

ntoskrnl is the windows kernal (a major part of the W7 OS) so if you are running SP1 then you do have the latest

hopefully Shintaro come back in the next few days and can look over your DMPs

Shintaro

Reaction score

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would completely uninstall LogMeIn and see if the issues persist. I did a quick search of "logmein bsod" and found numerous matches.

Reaction score
Please update the following:

hamachi.sys Thu Feb 19 21:36:41 2009 (499D3639)
LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual network interface driver
https://secure.logmein.com/US/support/hamachi2/

mcdbus.sys Tue Feb 24 21:34:07 2009 (49A3CD1F)
MagicISO SCSI Host Controller driver
http://www.magiciso.com/

intelppm.sys Tue Jul 14 09:19:25 2009 (4A5BC0FD)
Intel Processor driver
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx (Intel Driver Update Utility)

Please enable Driver Verifier.
I uninstalled MagicISO and Hamachi in case they were causing it. Ran the intel driver update utility and updated everything I could find.

Enabled driver verifier like you said in your older post with all the settings. Restarted, computer crashed again, turned off DV, and now here's the new minidump.

I would completely uninstall LogMeIn and see if the issues persist. I did a quick search of "logmein bsod" and found numerous matches.
Uninstalled LogMeIn Hamachi AND MagicDisc. Still crashed.

Attachments

Reaction score
And thanks for the help guys, This issue has been driving me crazy for months!

Reaction score
Hi,

What is the brand and model number of your hard drive?

Also please run: https://www.w7forums.com/memtest86-memory-testing-t9067.html

Hope this helps.
ST500M002-1BD142 ATA Device

Also....for some reason my D drive isn't showing up anymore and when I press the button to open the tray, it won't open. Not sure what happened while I was trying to fix the BSOD issue....did uninstalling MagicISO do it?

And I'll try to run memtest asap.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I would say so.
Just run Device Manager and tell it to search.

Ask a Question