PC will not Shut down, only restarts instead

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a rather odd problem. My computer that is running Win7 pro will not shut down anymore. When I go to the start menu and tell it to Shut down, it does a restart instead of shutting down. I also have the power button set to shut it down, and when I push that, it once again will only do restarts. The only way to get it fully powered down, is to turn off the power on the surge protector it is plugged into... not exactly a good solution for obvious reasons. Anyone here have a clue what is going on and how to fix it?

Reaction score
My PC wouldn't make the 'sleep' option available once. A simple OS update cured it.
Thank you jefboyardee, I still have the option for choosing a Shut down, but it just doesn't work... restarts instead. It has been a problem for several months now, so I have had many OS updates since it started.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Also check your BIOS settings. Your machine may be set to automatically power on after a power loss or by network activity.

Ask a Question