SOLVED IE downloads the file and then IE Shuts down before it goes into the computer.

Reaction score
Internet Explorer downloads a file but then as soon as it finishes downloading and starts to be checked before entering it into my computer, IE shuts down and message comes up "this file cannot be downloaded" no explanation as to why it can't be downloaded. I've tried everything I could find to try and nothing seems to work. I have made sure file downloads was enabled, I have even reset IE to defaults. I'm thinking I may have a corrupted system file in the security files. I ran the system file checker and it corrected some files but said there were others that could not be corrected. How do I find the file or files that are corrupted and replace them? Please keep in mind that at 82 yrs. old, I am not very computer savvy, so I will need any response in very simple terms.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off you need to make sure you have enough HD space to store the file ... How big is it?

Second make sure it is not your antivirus software trying to protect you ... it may be deleting the file because it found something bad. Open your antivirus software and look for the log of deleted or quarantined files.

What is it you are trying to download? ... is there a link you can post so I can try to download it? NOTE: if it is sensitive material you can message me the link (click my nick and choose "start a conversation")

Reaction score
I checked the space on the HD and I still had 312 free space so that was OK. Then I decided to look at my anti-virus as you suggested.
There was nothing in the delete or quarantines files to see, I decided to check the settings and there I found a checked mark on downloads which I removed and now I can download again. Instead of blocking the download it offers me a warning screen to be checked when the publisher of the download can't be verified which is OK as long as I know what I'm downloading is OK. Thank you so much for your suggestions that led me to the solution to the problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it worked out. Happy Holidays!

Ask a Question